1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey updating.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Gonzogre, May 14, 2011.

1. Gonzogre

Gonzogre Member

So, I haven't updated my wiikey (I believe the first version as I modded my launch wii with what I assume woulda been the first iteration of the wiikey at the time as it was fairly early in the wiis life) since super smash bro's brawl came out. To update it do I need to do so in order since then and if so how would I go about finding out which version I am currently up to? Any help is appreciated.

2. b1gh3ad

b1gh3ad Regular member

Download and burn the files for the WiiKey update off the website. After insert the wiikey update into console and update. If youre console is somftmodded install wanikoko's 4.1 updater through the homebrew channel so that you can play out of region games on 4.1 which is impossible in 4.2 and 4.3

WiiKey updates: http://www.wiikey.com/en/downloads/
    Wanikoko's 4.1 Updater: http://wii.brewology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16129
    4.1 Softmod guide: http://www.wiihacks.com/tutorial-archives/16970-new-3-1-4-1-softmod-any-wii.html

If theres any problems with the wanikoko's 4.1 post back with your results or google

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Gonzogre

Gonzogre Member

Thank you for the assistance, my wiikey is a hardmod so I am assuming that the wiikey update im looking for on this page would be the version 1.99 beta as I believe I have the wiikey 1 not the fusion. Or would i be safer goin for a more stable previous version.
    Thanks again!

Edit: And just to clarify, theres no need to update my wiikey in order since the version i have, i can just get the latest version and that will be fine? Ever cautious :p

4. b1gh3ad

b1gh3ad Regular member

its at the bottom page under wiikey 1 and 2 updates. Updating your wiikey1 firmware is a must to ensure bug fixes and compatibality. The 1.99 beta is the most stable edition for wiikey1 and should enble you to play all games from any region on the 4.1 U/E/J/K firmware. Once you download the wiikey1 firmware you should immediately update it. After the wiikey firmware is done install 4.1 to play all games

5. Gonzogre

Gonzogre Member

OKay awesome, so I can just download the 1.99 beta and then run a wii update and that wont like brick my wii? I dont believe ill need wanikoko's 4.1 thing because its a hardmod. I am a tad nervous to run an update, wouldnt that brick my wii? I always thought it was bad to do so like my wii's actual firmware is still only version 3.2u

6. Gonzogre

Gonzogre Member

So I have updated the wiikey firmware to 1.99 beta no problem and am just wondering ( I have searched a lil and havent seem to find out how) how I should go about updating my firmware for the wii to 4.0 or 4.1, whichever still allows homebrew and such

7. b1gh3ad

b1gh3ad Regular member

google a tutorial for wanikoko 4.1 updater and it should help you update to 4.1