1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey - wii works when open - flaky when closed

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by upsell, May 4, 2007.

1. upsell

upsell Member

I've got a Wiikey that works flawlessly when I've got the Wii open. When I close it back up, it works for the first backup disk I put in, then rarely reads others unless I shut it down for a few hours, then it works again. It reads originals with no problem in either state? What do you think the issue is? Bad joint? Loose joint?Heat build up? The wiikey is held in place with electrical tape and hot glue. It was my first solder job, so no claims that it was perfect, but it's frustrating that it works perfectly as long as I keep it opened up.

2. Syko360

Syko360 Member

Could be a cold solder joint or heat. But it is hard to say without knowing the placement of the chip. If it is being "pinched" when the case is put back together it could be causing it to cut out. hard to tell for sure though. Posting pics next time you have it apart would help a ton.

3. upsell

upsell Member

Thanks. Trying to find a camera to take clear enough photos from that close up! I'm keeping the wii open since that's how it works most consistently. Would a cold solder joint still be flaky even when the wii is open or does is it the heat around the joint that causes the joint to fail?

I suspect the pinching...especially since the wiikey gets folded right on top of the DVD ribbon connector.