1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiikey will not load set up disc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by semat2000, Jun 3, 2007.

1. semat2000

semat2000 Member

I just finished instal wiikey on my wii yesterday which is v2 motherboard. I had trouble loading up set up disc v2 using TDK DVD-R and also for my game back up twilight princess burning speed at 2x. When i try load the set up disc it give me the unable to read message i am using nero, but the back up game it working good i test about 5mins. The question is do i really need to run the set up disc? do i burn in iso or image burn i read the instruction, but not quite understand.
    any idea thanks alot

2. M37R01D

M37R01D Member

do you have any pics of the install that you could post or email me?
    that would deff help to see if the chip is properly isntalled, then if so i would assume something with your burning

3. CnraDargo

CnraDargo Member

Sadly, I have the same problem and I know for sure that the chip was properly installed - I let a pro do it who has chipped at least 20 consoles before mine and this was his first ever "failure" :/ He even unsoldered the chip and then soldered it back, still no luck. After that he tried two other WiiKeys but alas, the problem remained...

I've tried formating the Wii as well but I am still unable to boot even the Setup Disc, and I've tried both v1.0 and 1.1 (why bother with 1.2 if I cannot even get THESE two to work).

The chip is from the very first batch of WiiKeys, while the two he tried were new ones (and no clones!).

Edit: The media I've been using is TraxData and Verbatim DVD+R.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  4. Supadave

Supadave Member

I to have this very same problem.. I'm a bit worried about the chip being faulty. I can proudly say I'm a pro at soldering. Done many ps2's and xbox soldering jobs. I even checked the continuity of the connections. Covered the wire with tape. (Short Wire Install) This is my first wii attempt with the wiikey.

Regular games boot fine. Setup disk will not boot. Tried verbatim, sony, maxwell, Memorex, and Ritek. No luck so far.

I have reason to believe the chip is shit. The mail carrier left it on my porch. Unfortunetly I never enter through the front door of my house. After being 5 days late I called the company got a ship number and traced it. Said it was on my porch. Sure enough it was there for 5 days. Through sun and rain. The package was plastic/waterproof and the chip seemed to be in perfect condition. The packaging was quite well done. I fear as if the elements may have done the damage.

I plan to crack it open and triple check the wiring even though I'm pretty confident it's ok. But, you never know. Could be a hairline. I'll keep everyone updated on this..

5. Supadave

Supadave Member

UPDATE: I took it apart and checked my soldering and again they looked to be fine. I used a dental hook and pulled on them to make sure they were all solid. They seem to be solid.

IT WORKS! After re-assembling the box and booting it appears that all disks I previously made are now reading fine. I have 7 working setup disks all on different brands of media.. LOL The next test was Mario Party 8. Burned at 4x to Verbatim and it works fine. I guess a connection just wasn't strong enough and my pulling with the hook kicked it in.. OH well..

Good luck to everyone having their own issues. Just don't get frustrated. Even us pro's run into a snag from time to time.. :)

6. CnraDargo

CnraDargo Member

What?! So, all you did was pull every soldering point to make sure they were solid and even though you had just checked the continuity of them all - that actually made the chip work??

Worth a try I guess...

Did you quicksolder or use wires?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  7. Supadave

Supadave Member

I did the short wire method as described here:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/54830-wiikey-short-wire-install-guide.html

I just used a dental hook and tugged a little on each short wire. Not saying that fixed it.. who really knows. I also lifted the chip a bit so it wasn't resting directly on the cd board. I put a thin strip of electrical tape over the top of the solder points as I had done previously.

For whatever reason.. It's working fine now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  8. machdog37

machdog37 Member

I installed my WiiKey using the short wire method however my Wii still only loads original Wii discs not burns
    I checked the continuity with a multimeter
    I tried TDK, ridata, and verbatim DVD+R at 2x, 4x, 6x using a Pioneer and LITEON.
    I have used Nero, Imgburn, and MagicISO
    I have tried the 1.1, 1.2, 1.2 w/HEX edit, 1.3 config discs, 1.9b update, and 4 US backed-up games none load
    I also removed the WiiKey and re-soldered using the quick solder method
    I am good at soldering, and have also checked for solder bridges
    I am now wondering if I have a bad WiiKey, not sure of the chances of that?
    Any Suggestions?

9. Decodem

Decodem Regular member

This happened to me first time I tryed and I got all panicked . The guy who installed it told me to burn a multi gamecube iso using a program called WiiUI v1.4. It dosen't matter how many games you might want to shrink them. All you need to do is burn the dvd with WiiUI v1.4 using image burn insert it in your wii then when it starts up it will show up as a gamecube game click start then when it loads to its own menu take that multi game disk out and replace it with the setup dvd. Then click start dvd the option on the screen (the screen won't change when you take the disk out) then it will say initiating GC2 drive then a screen will come up with all this weird words in a list. Use the gamecube controller to move down to the second last word and then click on it( I think it is the second last word I know its near the end). The setup disk will appear after loading, you should do this for all the future updates.

10. machdog37

machdog37 Member

Thanks Decodem however could you give a little more info on using WiiUI?
    I removed the WiiKey for a third time. I used an offset wire method, it was actually out of the three methods I have used the easiest, but again it still does not work
    I am now 100% sure it is not my soldering. I again used my multimeter to verify continuity and no bridges. The offset wire method I used made it a lot easier to test since before the chip was right above the solder points and it was pretty difficult to make sure the leads weren’t touching each other.
    So now I believe it could be an issue with one of four things
    1. bad Media (however I have tried 3 types)
    2. Bad burners (I have two and tried them both)
    3. Bad WiiKey
    4. Or I am doing something else wrong
    I now only have TDK DVD+R’s left, has anyone gotten TDK’s to work with Wii?
    Any help would be appreciated.

11. machdog37

machdog37 Member

Correct me if I am wrong but once the WiiKey is installed it should be able to recognize US games without running a config or updates. I know if I want to play other regions I have to do the config or if I want to have the newer updates to fix GC and SMG issues I have to upgrade to 1.9B or G. But since it is not recognizing any discs and because I am sure it is correctly soldered I believe that would point to a bad WiiKey.

12. machdog37

machdog37 Member

“BANGING HEAD ON MY DESK” I feel stupid, I have cut pins. I searched my S/N: and was told the pins would not be cut and I just never noticed, doh! I am not brave enough to use a dremel to remove the top of the IC chip, so I guess no WiiKey for me.

13. brido84

brido84 Regular member

14. Decodem

Decodem Regular member

To use WiiUI search it on google to get the download then after that put all the files it comes with in one folder. Click WiiUI exe file and the it will ask what type of wii you have and how many games you want to put on a disk if you are not going to shrink any select one game. Then click create disk make the program put any where you can find the iso I use my desktop, then when it is done making the iso burn it to a dvd. Then do what I said in my instructions.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  15. machdog37

machdog37 Member

Brido84, that would have been the smart purchase for me to make! Well before getting your response I went ahead and scrapped off the top of the IC to get to the pin’s and soldered the WiiKey directly to the IC. Now when I put a disc in it sucks it in however the wheel that engages the disc does not. I first thought it must have been a short on the IC so I de-soldered all the wires going to the WiiKey but it does the same thing. So I guess I have a mechanical failure, looking at the DVD drive I think it will be a nightmare to take apart with all the springs etc. I guess I have a brick now, unless I can find a replacement drive on ebay, but from what I have read they are extremely difficult to find.

Any suggestions on fixing this or where to find a replacement drive would be appreciated.

Brido84, I really wish I saw your post before doing this but that is what I get for not having patience.

Also thanks to Decodem.

16. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

nintendo will repair but charge you - cost is about £70 i believe

17. machdog37

machdog37 Member

Thanks Thinone. I cleaned the pins a bit more on the IC chip with solder wick and now it is working without the WiiKey. I am going to wait until they come out with the wlip’s B version for the cut pins that brido84 recommend, their site said they expect to be selling them in a couple of weeks. I am going to email them and ask if it will still work if I already ground the IC to the pins, I will post their response incase anyone else is interested.
    A bit of a warning to others with cut pins, unless you are an expert and have a really good desk lighted magnifying glass I would not even try. Pictures online do not do it justice. When I removed the ceramic and saw how small they were I was pretty sure I was going to screw it up, but pushed on.
    Thanks again for everyone’s replies.