1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will 100% re-encode?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by pjh777, Dec 14, 2004.

1. pjh777

pjh777 Guest

If I'm shrinking a DVD and have removed enough stuff so the video is now at 100% will DVDShrink re-code the video or just copy/remux the original mpeg stream?

thx

pjh

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Why do you need to know? Ripping a disc always involves encoding which is also necessary to remove the protection. At 100% none of the files will be compressed.

3. pjh777

pjh777 Guest

I'm not talking about the ripping process. presume you have VOBs ripped and de-cssed on the harddisk.

Once a file has been 'ripped' DVDSkrink can re-encode it by rendering each frame and re-encoding it back to an mpeg stream. This stream is then muxxed with audio etc and repacked into VOBs.

My question is : If the compression setting says 100% will DVDShrink render and re-encode, or will it just mux the original mpeg and whatever audio streams are required?

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

A clue is given in the 'analysis' option which is unavailable at 100% or less because no compression and hence no re-encoding is necessary.