1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a Router improve security

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by TruthIs1, May 22, 2003.

1. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

For file sharing and keeping the prying eyes of my ISP and DMCA away, will a router help. Is it worth the investment? As I posted recently, they caught me. I haven't downloaded or uploaded since then, but I installed Peer Guardian, and they're keeping an
    eye on my IP address from time to time.
    Thanx

2. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

Actually, the presence (or absence) of a simple router would not help you at all. HOWEVER, if you get a router with a firewall (or just a hardware firewall), you could block incoming connections... however many popular P2P applications use a PUSH type strategy so that users behind firewalls can still upload files. Also, a software firewall (Agnitum, etc) are almost as effective as a hardware firewall and much cheaper.

So, the easy solution is just not share, or use IRC. More complicated P2P apps (Kazaa, etc) can still share through firewalls. Essentially, if they can get an out-going connection they can still send out files.

3. deadeyex

deadeyex Member

I have a router and they still got me with that letter I have the peer gaurdian thing is all you have to do is have it running to block ip I hope? Because there is no info on it that I can find. Can some one help?

4. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

I think you just have to keep it running. Just updated frequently. I just started using it and I have noticed the record and movie companies try to attack me about 6 times a day! And I haven't been downloading or uploading anything in days! That's I know about it :)