1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will a SATA to USB adapter work for flashing my hitachi?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by UltraManX, Mar 7, 2007.

1. UltraManX

UltraManX Member

it's version 46

2. handsom

handsom Regular member

Theoretically yes. The only concern is that true sata is much faster than USB; so it may cause a crash, which in the middle of a firmware flash, could brick your drive.

I seem to recall a lot of people doing this early on though. If you're going to do it, I would just make sure there are no conflicts in your system configuration, just to garauntee as little slowdown as possible. The firmware is tiny, so it should be done quickly anyways; as long as the firmware flash isn't expecting an instant response, I personally can't foresee a problem, but I'm definitely not the end all be all... Otherwise we'd live a sad sad existence.

3. UltraManX

UltraManX Member

how do i reduce conflicts in my sysconfig? the only SATA ports im using are two hard drives, which must both be connected for me to boot windows. if theres a way for me to do it directly Im willing to try, but i dont know how to work around this; if i remove on of the hard drives the thing doesnt boot. the furthest i can go with this method is into modeB with the slax disc

4. handsom

handsom Regular member

Okay; I'm going to ask you a question, not to be mean or sarcastic, or anything like that; but because it's worth pursuing:

Why are BOTH drives necessary to boot? The only situation in which I can imagine that being true, is that you either store your user-documents on the secondary drive, or that you use it for virtual memory. If either one of those is the case, it's easily remedied. If it's your documents, just pull the drive, it just won't show those. If it's your virtual memory, just quickly re-set that for the primary drive, then pull the secondary. Those two things aside, I've never HEARD of an XP configuration, or anything before that, needing two hard drives together to start up.

You just need to see which one is the primary(Windows folder) drive.

If you do this, you can plug in to the sata temporarily with the 360 drive. It's not like this is a long-term solution. You would just check interrupt addresses in your system, in the "Devices" menu, which can be reached a variety of ways. Depending on who made your system; you may have some conflicts you didn't know about, even the big boys like Dell and Gateway(less surprising) build occasional systems with conflicts. It doesn't kill the pc necessarily, but it can detract from overall stability.

5. UltraManX

UltraManX Member

well my pc is an alienware and i dont think it HAs to have both drives in to boot windows its just that i dont know how to set it so it boots from the main one...thanks for your concern. right now im in modeB which i got into through a sata to usb adapter but the drive isnt detected in windows, so im thnking i should try that other method