1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will converting WMV file to AVI or MPEG improve its quality??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Kylejon, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Kylejon

Kylejon Member

I've got a wmv file that i need to burn to DVD. Using ConvertXtoDVD, i can convert the wmv file to vob and burn it directly. But the quality is not the greatest. Would it help for me to convert from wmv to AVI or MPEG before i do the final burn and convert to vob??

If so, what are the best programs to use for this conversion???

Thanks

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

No. Each time you re-encode, the quality gets worse.

Some probable reasons:
    1) The final resolution is higher than the original
    2) The encoding bitrate is lower than the original
    3) Encoding at a high speed to sacrifice quality

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Some MPEG encoders are built for speed, some for quality. HCencoder is one that is built for quality and is free. Use DVD authoring software that uses HCEncoder and you should get good results. Probably not the fastest, though.

4. skyhaha

skyhaha Member

Perhaps, you can try winavi video converter. It does kinds of conversion for a long time here, and I think its output quality is acceptable.

5. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

part of the problem of giving good advice in this kind of situation is we need more info to advise a correct work flow.

In general, wmv is not lossless...whenever you encode from say: DV or uncompressed AVI to wmv you sacrifice lossless quality for compression....once you're down that road
    and have lost video resolution you can't just "bring it out" dig it up...etc by trying a new compression scheme(codec) .

But, on the other hand...many DVD_Authoring programs that do the encoding For YOU as part of a "one click" solution don't allow you to use half D1, 1/4 D1, etc encoding with a good encoder.. so, sometimes it's helpful and best to use a standalone mpeg encoder...then a better authoring program.

What is the resolution of your WMV file? knowing what/where you're starting from....will help others here give better advice on how to proceed.