1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will data erase on cheap media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Acme8790, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I have seen concern with people and cheap media. Some people get the cheap media to work great while others do not. Most people write about burning errors or the media not being compatiable with there burners or players. My question is lets say the media records reat with my burner, plays great on my dvd player, will the data stay intact to be played time and time again. I mean I read about people saying the media is only good for 12 months or 6 months and so on. If you take care of your disks and dont scratch them will the data stay there indefinitly? Or does something happen to the data over time? What will cause a disk not to work after 12 months if the disk is still in perfect condition? Just a question?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The dye that's used.

Think of it this way, all media uses the same basic polycarbonate disc so what's the only variable? The dye. You pay more for a quality dye because it will give smooth burns with no coasters and retain it's data integrity far, far longer than any 28 cent disc will.

There are no free lunches when it comes to media :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  3. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

I have experienced loss of playback on some cheap disks after 6 mo.or more. They played fine at time of burn. I am only using the Ritek Ridata brand at present with very good results. All the Riteks I have burned over a year ago still play fine.

4. hijacker

hijacker Guest

I have had some data loss from cheap media after a period of time.I don't recommend cheap media.I purchased some non-name DVD-r from a small computer store and they are terrible.The dye spead is bad and I am sure there is pin holes in the dye.Video to me seems bad for cheap media.I had data loss of a program from some cheap cd-r's from big lots.

5. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

That kind of sucks. I mean you think you are getting a good deal and all and boom. I figured as long as they burned and worked after burning they would hold up ok. I am finding out otherwise. I wish I would have researched more before I made a purchase. Could have saved 25 bucks. They should lable bad media and grade the media for consumers like me who did not know any better. Well I guess thats what you get for being the newbie on the block. I guess you live and learn

6. Nephilim

It's a pisser isn't it? The very first media I bought when I dipped my toes into the burning game were Imation CMC's. Luckily it was only a ten pack and I burned them quite slow so they've held up reasonably well.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  7. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Nephilim~ sure is a pisser. I am hoping and crossing my fingers that since I burned them at 2x they will hold up. I do know one thing, I wont buy cheap media again!!! Its not worth the worry. What does Riteks media cost for lets say 100 pack? I saw there are different types of Ritek also, and was told some Ritek is better then others. Whjich type do you reccomend?

8. Nephilim

9. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Is this what you recommend? $44 bucks is not bad for good media. I would rather pay the extra $16 per 100 disks to get good media.

[​IMG]

RIDATA 4X DVD+R 4.7GB, Model DRD+474-RDCB100, OEM

Model# DRD+474-RDCB100
    Item # N82E16817132344

10. Nephilim

I normally use -R RiDATA but I've used my fair share of the very same +R media you listed with great success. They should ID as RICOHJPNR01 which is the good stuff :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004