1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Dual Layer DVD Discs support making 720p video DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by varxtis, May 24, 2016.

1. varxtis

varxtis Member

Im trying to create a DVD with a menu that can be played on a regular DVD player, like any regular DVD Movie you buy at a store. However the videos I need to put on it are 720p. The authoring programs werent accepting the video and then I found out that you can't do 720p (HD) DVDs on a "DVD" disc. But this made me very confused because im certain that any modern movie thats released on "DVD" is 720p. So my question is, can this be done on a Dual Layer DVD Disc?
    If Not a Dual Layer DVD Disc, then how is it done?

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, and in fact it will support 1080P. I've managed to squeeze 1080P (Spiderman) onto a single layer disc. Blu-Ray is as much a structure as it is a physical format, so when you compress a Blu-Ray to a single or dual layer disc you will need a BD player to play it back. Some home BD players detect single and dual layer disc and might reject it but on a PC with BD capable software you will be able to play a well done disc. H.264 (or X264) is far more efficient than mpeg2 (about 4 times) so if you have an 24Gb BD movie, and you subtract all the extras, keep the single smallest soundtrack format, you can then squeeze them to about 4 GB.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Member

Yes, you can make what is known as a "BD9." This is simply a Blu-ray file structure, but it uses a DL-DVD for the storage media. Keep in mind that not all players will support this. Try something like BD Rebuilder. You'll just need to install some other dependencies before it will work. If you're only doing 720p, you could also get away with a BD5 (SL-DVD).

5. varxtis

varxtis Member

Thank you!! Will give it a try

6. hogger129

hogger129 Member

Here is the program developer's thread over at Doom 9 which talks about the dependencies needed. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

I'm not sure if it mentions, but you should also install ImgBurn Adfree for burning the files onto the disc.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For hose who are interested, I've recorded 720p to single layer discs, and 1080p to dual layer discs using BD-RB.