1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will dvd+r work as well for backups ?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by gamergrl, Jun 1, 2004.

1. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

i noticed the dvd writers that can use dvd-r cost more...so if i get one that can only use dvd+r will my backups be alright ?

can i use memorex dvd r's ?

i know this question is probably already answered ...but i cant find it ..i need to knowwww ! thanks anyone who can answer :)

2. Kravenoff

Kravenoff Member

Usually by now the flames would be coming. But I've gotten here first. If your going to buy a writer I would suggest a dual format.(+/-R) Some PS2 have compatability issues with +R media. Usually if you have a version 4 or up PS2 you are fine, but there are some who will tell you that there for example version 5 will not play +R. As for media type, everyone has a preference that they love to share. I tell people to try a brand at a time and when you find one that works, stick with it. I'm currently using Memorex + and - media usually depending on what is available, though I have had a couple of games not burn well on + that have worked on -.

3. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

cool, thanks

that was the info i needed ;)

4. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

im pretty sure your backups would run well with +r i have a v4 , v9 and they work well with them.

5. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

hmmm...i have a version 4 with flip top, i think i'll try +R then. thanks !

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Version 4 PS2's that read +R media are extremely hard to come by and therefore it you are going to buy a single format burner I'd strongly recommend a -R type.

7. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

Most of my friends have V4s and +R work well, but gamegurl you should try to find out what media is best for your system. PS2s are like people...different...lol

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm assuming that since you posted the question for cost reasons that your money is pretty tight and you can't afford to make a mistake on this and therefore I would either stick with the -R and avoid having to just go back and buy another burner because the +R didn't work or make 100% certain that +R's work first. If you have already implemented your mod of choice on the PS2 try to get somebody you know with a +R to burn a test backup for you first and see if you can get it to work before spending good money on a burner that 'might' work.

9. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

just go around and find out which one works before you buy...

10. user12345

user12345 Member

any experience with a version 7??

I have a version 7 am getting a computer it comes with a dvd +r burner, does a version read +r dvds???

or at least is it safe to say it will read a +r dvd.

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You should be ok with +R on a v7 PS2.

12. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

yeh V4 and up should work with +R

13. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Not all version 4's read dvd+r, I would say about 65% do. Still if you don't know for sure wether dvd+r will work on your version 4 then I wouldn't chance it and just get a dvd-r burner.

14. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

well i got some info on my version 4 ps2 ...it came with a flip top installed on it and the person i bought it from had been playing only +R's on it with no problems...so i should be ok with +R, but i got a multi format burner (77.00 ebay) anyways just to be sure ;) thanks for the info