1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DVD Shrink backup to DL DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by SmileyGuy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Member

I notice that in DVD Shrink 3.1.7 you can set the target DVD size to DVD-5 or custom (where you can manually set the DVD size in Mb) (go to Edit|Preferences|Preferences tab).

Does this mean DVD Shrink will back up to DL DVD and keep all features? Has anybody tried?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

For copying a DVD-9 Shrink is unecessary. DVD Decrypter would be in order since it simply rips the movie in it's entirety with no compression.

3. SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Member

Yes but I find DVD Shrink so much easier to use with the preview window as I can sometimes fit an extra or two and pick what i want easily.
    What do you use to burn to blank after DVD Decrypter? I've been using either Clone DVD or Nero (via DVD Shrink)

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Since Nero now has DL burning capability you can still use the Shrink/Nero combination or if you choose to use Decrypter you would simply use Nero to burn the VIDEO_TS folder that Decrypter creates.

5. SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Member

Thank you so much. Has anybody tried this or got better ways for backing up dual layer DVDs?

6. siber

siber Regular member

SmileyGuy, there are virtually no Double Layer DVD media available. I did see a Verbatim '10Pack' at BestBuy, which had ONE DVD+R DL disc + 8 DVD+R + 1 DVD+RW for $30. Too much money for a singel DL disc.

It is my understanding that DL discs will cost between $6 and $10 in the beginning (estimate till after XMas).

I did buy the Sony DRU700 but I consider it is mostly a quality 8X DVD burner (single layer). In the VERY rare cases where I may wish to put two movies on 1 DVD or copy a 3-4 hour movie, it will be nice to know that feature exists.

I rarely care anymore about compression rates. Thanks to Afterdawn I have learned to use DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic. This program makes amazing copies even at compression rates of 50-60%. It is the BEST video software that I have ever bought. NERO is much more versatile but for the single purpose of preparing a back-up of a DVD recording, there is nothing better.

Intervideo CopyDVD also has DL ripping and burning features. I'm sure all copying software soon will.

7. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

nero with dual layer, and dvdforfree etc should be all you need to back up dual layer

Use dvd4free to break css, and nero burns exact copy

8. SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Member

i know theres no dl media yet thats why i want to wait it out a little to see technology changes. i was really hoping theyd release a firmware upgrade. im sure dl dvds will be just as cheap in a year or 2 so ill wait.

Tell me why do people insist on using DVD Decrypter when DVD Shrink is so easy to use with the preview window?

Id also like to get some technical answers on compression - i haven't noticed any difference on 70% compression and haven't needed to try more. but when will it start to be noticed and is will it be more pronounced on hd tvs or digital projectors? Maybe i should start a new thread

9. siber

siber Regular member

SmileyGuy: those questions are best answered in another thread. I think I saw your question already elsewhere, so you must have gone ahead.

With DL discs, there should theoretically be no further need for SHRINK. You obviously like the preview window and the nice outlay of the different parts of the DVD content in SHRINK. Decrypter is a bit bland.

About the compression percentage, opinions vary on Afterdawn. Most people agree that compression to below 70% may not be advisable. It is definitely possible at that point to 'freeze' a frame , use the 'zoom' function on your DVD player and recognize the difference between original and copy.