1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DVD9 games burn to dual-layer DVDs?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by RemyK313, Feb 21, 2005.

1. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

I'm trying to consider whether or not its worth it to drop money to buy dual layer media.

My question is : If I make an ISO of a Dual-Layer game with DVD Decrypter, will I be able to play it if I burn it to a dual layer disc?

I'm talking specifically about the Xenosaga games or Gran Turismo 4.

I don't know if its a factor, but I'm doing this on on a v12 with a fliptop and SM 3.3, it only seems to read DVD+Rs but I've had no problems with DVD backups since I started a couple weeks back.

I'd really like to know what you guys think, especially you guys who have actually put down the money to buy dual-layer media so that they wouldn't have to sacrifice FMVs or anything else in their backups.

2. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

According to other websites, DVD9s are only able to be burned on discs using the PTP method.

A little over a year ago, there was a discussion on this topic. According to the DVD Decrypter DVD profiler, I may be able burn DVDs with the PTP method.

Or not, I have no clue as to what any of this really is anyway.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/3796/ptp7gj.jpg

If you look at the highlighted text, you'll see it says PTP. Now, this is an example, this is a RICOH single layer DVD+R, but supposing I could find media that supports PTP. Since it seems that I can burn it with PTP, should I try it?

Also, how do I definitely make sure if my burner DOES support PTP burning?

I'd just like to know if its possible or not on my SOHW-832S LiteOn.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

SM can't do DL's. Some of the newer modchips say they can, but I don't know how reliable they are.

About the meat of your question, I have no idea. I just split all my dvd9's. I don't really have any reason to mess with the trouble/expense of installing a modchip and buying DL media.

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

You can split DVD9 games? Or did you mean something else, I'm confused.

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, you can split a dvd9 game to two dvd5's. There are instructions for several games at swapmagicfix.com. I've successfully done it for Camps of Norrath and Xenosaga2, the two games I've tried it with.

What happens is you play the game about halfway through with the first disk, then when you get to a certain point, you save, and reboot with the second disk.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

PTP stands for Parallel Track Path and means that on the first layer of the disc it reads from inside to outside, on the second layer it reads from inside to outside. Most (if not all) DVD9 games are going to be this way. OTP is Opposite Track Path, meaning that the first layer goes inside to outside and the second layer goes outside to inside. Movies use this, probably for faster transitioning between the layers. DL +R media at this point in time only supports OTP method, so regardless of what your burner options are, this is what you're stuck with for now.

7. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

I did not know that, thanks a lot. Both of you.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

no prob, that's what we're here for.

9. ndnbolla

ndnbolla Member

is gran turismo 4 dvd9? if it is do u know where i can find a tutorial on splitting dvd9 games to dvd5's?

10. JoeN00b

JoeN00b Guest

there are a number of threads on GT4, it can't be backed-up yet. I'm sure in about a week or two there will be a work around for it.

Apparently PGP was cracked in a few hours. :)

11. mingster

mingster Member

On the main GT4 thread, someone posted that the image size of the US version is only 2.5gb. If this is true, then presumably it's a single layer game - good news for now...

*edit*: sorry, false alarm - this was only a torrent download.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005