1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will english ps3 games work on Jap ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by snowy1985, Jan 30, 2007.

1. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

Im currently living in japan and own a ps3 and due to return to england in june , Im wondering will games bought in england work on jap ps3 when they come out I have a few american titles and they work fine, Ive heard rumours that games bought in england wont work due to them being pal, but Ive also seen on various site that games are region free like the psp is that true? thanks

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

Too early to know for sure but I'm thinking the answer is no. Although Japan and the UK have the same region codes for DVDs, English DVDs dont work because of the NTSC/PAL thing so I figure it's the same for the games. A good consolation is that the American games do work and they're normally released earlier and cheaper to buy.

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

5. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

No, you are wrong... the PS3 is region free, wich means any PS3 Jap or US or Euo will work on it... DVDs that have a region code will not thought![/quote]

So how come when I looked at ps3 games on play.com which is where you can preorder english games it says PAL will only work on english and european ps3's only

6. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

That's because PAL WILL only work on europeon PS3s. Things such as DVD's and PS2 games that HAVE a region code will only work specific players.

The thing is, PS3 games don't have a region code and can be played on any PS3, no matter where it is purchased.

7. camarienz

camarienz Guest

ok to add my 2cents worth here I am in New Zealand with a PS3 purchased in Malaysia (which is a NSTC/J unit) which was manufactured for the Hong Kong market, it came with Hong Kong games (NTCS/J jap and English) and I just purchased RFOM,Armourcore 4 and Motostorm from Japan and all work ok.
    New Zealand is a PAL region and PS3 will not be here until March.If you go onto the Hong Kong PS site they say that there is going to be a patch that will allow NTSC machines to play PAL games (to be issued this spring) so really if this is done it will absolutely mean that PS3 games are truly region free
    But of course DVD's are region locked (until they are hacked that is)

8. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

Why are two people telling me Im wrong when I have a Japanese PS3 in England. The Dvd region code for japan and england is region 2. English DVDs wont play on my PS3 because my PS3 WILL NOT play anything in PAL format. Region 2 DVDs from Japan will because they are NTSC. Its as simple as that. Im assuming that without a firmware fix the same will apply for the games.

9. ChocTunda

ChocTunda Guest

They are right i have a U.S PS3 & also own motostorm it is from Japan and it work on my PS3 no problems.DVD are region coded but PS3 game are not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007
  10. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

Yer I know they work because they are both ntsc (jap usa) what Im trying to find out is if a pal game will work on a ntsc ps3 as english games when they come out will be pal, Im wondering about this because as everyone else has said you cant play english ps2 games on it because they are pal which is true.

11. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

Your not quite getting it. Japan and the US operate with NTSC as standard so they work fine. Europe and Australasia use PAL as standard. The European games will be in PAL format. It has nothing to do with region codes. The NTSC PS3's will not run PAL games unless a fix is put in just like they wont run region 2 NTSC dvds right now. Forget about region codes.

12. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

Yer thats what I was guessing dont know where everyone else was coming from, due you reckon that there will be a fix,

13. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

I havent seen anything on this PAL fix people have been talking about. Also, Sony charges a lot more for consoles and games in various EU countries so the fix would encourage importing which they dont really like (they closed Lik Sang over it). I would probably say no to the PAL fix but that's only my opinion.

It will happen though whether Sony do it sooner or groups like Paradox do it later so I'd just keep importing until an alternative arrives.

14. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

cheers thanks for your help do you know of anysites that I can get them from ive looked a few and they say they wont ship to europe,

15. ps34life

ps34life Guest

Hi snowy1985,

i sell loads of playstation 3 games on ebay. i am in england and sell japanese ps3 games.
    If you need some games just PM me and im sure i could sell any game you want.

My ebay username is i'manidiot edited by ddp to see what im selling. if the games on there you dont want just PM me and i`ll try get some games for you.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007
  16. camarienz

camarienz Guest

I got this of the Sony offical site in Hong Kong

Can PLAYSTATION®3 sold in Hong Kong play PAL content?
    A: PLAYSTATION®3 sold in Hong Kong can play only NTSC (60i)
    content at this moment. This means 50i AVCHD content
    (recorded by video camera) and PAL DVD (SD) cannot be played.
    These contents are now planned to become playable through
    system update, which is planned to be released on 2007 spring.

17. snowy1985

snowy1985 Member

This may sound dumped but will that mean pal games aswell?

18. camarienz

camarienz Guest

that's the way I read it, but of course it doesnt mean DVD just games..even that would be a god thing

19. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

I've just read a very interesting article on High Definition television and the fact that NTSC/PAL dont really have any influence on them........meaning European games might not be in the PAL format. It may only apply to films but I dont know. If you dont have an HDTV here in Europe, the games will have to run at 25fps as many of the tvs dont support anything else. Anyone know more about this? Heres a general synopsis of the article:

In the world of Hi-Def PAL or NTSC don't have a place. The image is always in a 16:9 Frame (Anamorphic doesn't exist here) and is measured by its
    1. Pixel count (E.G 1920 x 1080 is 1080, 1280 x 720 is 720 and so on).
    2. Progressive or Interlaced (Identified as I or P)
    3. Frame Rate (E.G 24 Frames For Film, 25fps For Pal and 30 for NTSC.)
    It should be noted that the frame rate is what causes the confusion of whether a disc is PAL or NTSC. In the world of DVD films on PAL discs are sped up 4% from 24fps to 25fps and NTSC disc have 3:2 pulldown performed on them resulting in the same running speed but a slight judder in the image. In the world of Hi-Def, images are stored in there original frame rate and can (With the right equipment) be viewed at that rate. All Blu-Ray players on the market output the 24fps of film at 60p with 3:2 pulldown.

So basically the best way to describe Video on a Hi-Def Disc is the Codec Used (Eithe MPEG-2, AVC or VC-1), Vertical pixel count (E.G. 1080) with the Frame Stucture (Either i Or p), The Frame Rate (E.G 24fps) and the Aspect Ratio (E.G 2.35:1)

So for instance MPEG-2 1080p24 2.35:1.

20. darkrogue

darkrogue Member

Just to let u know i went to the PS site and they did say there is going to be a patch that will allow NTSC machines to play PAL games (to be issued this spring)

21. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

What about the people who buy there PS3 from the UK and want to import the games from the US or Japan. Will the NTSC games from the USA play on PAL Europe consoles then?