1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I be able to play my backup copy of TS3 online?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by couchpot, Apr 1, 2005.

1. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

I was wondering if I'll be able to play my backup copy of Timesplitters 3 online. I bought the game, but I sorta have this thing about keeping my games in mint condition. So I made a copy on a DVD and I'm using swap magic to play. I cant seem to play online, althought I never tried with the original game. Is this preventing me from playing online? Or maybe its my firewall or something. Any advice as to how I can:

A) Configure this game to work on my router
    B) Is it impossible to play a backup of this online?

2. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

If you are trying to play your backup online, It needs to be patched with the DNAS ID which you extract from the original.

Here..this is thanx to Ender88's guide found elsewhere on this site.

Q) How can I get online with my backup?
    A) New games (released after the summer of 2003) have a DNAS id which the servers you connect to check for. Games released before or during the summer of 2003 can just be burned and played online. As for games with DNAS ids, you will need to extract the id off of your original game and patch your image file before burning it with the extracted id. To extract the DNAS id you will need to burn a Disc ID Utility CD (get the cue and bin here http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17105). To patch your image file with the extracted id before burning use Image Patcher (http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17888). Then burn the image as you normally would and the backup will pass the DNAS check performed when connection to the game server.

3. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

Oh, thats pretty clever of sony. That is essentially like a cd-key, built into the disc, isn't it? Or thats how I understand it, correct? So it essentially works like cd-keys in online games, only one using that ID can play at a time correct? But, why cant u just make the ISO and burn it, is there a reason why the DNAS doesn't work without a patch?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. Calis

Calis Guest

some recent games i been trying to get online (Metal Gear 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Project Snowblind) and they didnt work.