1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will i get in trouble?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by DrDeath, Feb 4, 2003.

1. DrDeath

DrDeath Member

hey will i get in trouble if i rip a dvd movie and make it into divx and put it on kazaa for others to download? just want to pay back my debt to society, for all the movies ive downloaded, lol thanks bye_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dr Death doubles for 21!!!... An orangutang?? the most dangerous animal known to man!![/small]

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

That is an interesting question. Right now I would say you are breaking the law, because you are offering a pirated version of software, which has been converted, even if it is not for commercial gain. This argument is going on right now in the courts, with the Yanks (sorry guys!) trying to sue Sharman Networks and other countries (like Finland : see article on this site) saying that d/l is OK, but u/l is not.

The chance of any big corporation or legislation trying to sue all these users is another questions altogether. Piracy is illegal whether you are trying to sell it or not.

Paul.

3. Deznaj

Deznaj Regular member

It is indeed piracy! But what the hey, thousends of people are doing it. Do you really think they are going to nail you???