1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I loose video quality if I...........

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ChrisMike, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

My set up now is a old Canon digital V camera, via a S-video and audio to a WinTV PVR 250 capture card to Video Re-Do for edditing and creation of clips. It all works great.

I am now looking at several new mid range cameras
    (MiniDV and trying to stay with Canon) and looks like none of them have a S-video hook up. So, I am told to use fire wire, in which case I am not able to use my PVR 250 or to use RCA video hook up in which case I will be able to use my PVR. If I use the RCA hook up will I loose out on quality? or Am I missing something here?

Feel Free to share.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. macburner

macburner Guest

using the rca will degrade the quality greatly, there will be dull colors and lots of "word wobble"

However if you use firewire to transfer the video to a pc and edit it on to a dvd you should have better quality video then the winTV card and be able to edit with benifits like having the timecode intact.

3. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Thanks Macburner for your reply,

Never used that method ( firewire) before to my satisfaction, capture software I was using always wanted to encode it and it took for ever. That is the reason why I used WinTv capture card. Nice quality, fast and am ready to edit in no time.

Not being a video expert am I missing something? like capture software that does not encode.

Cheers,
    Chris

4. macburner

macburner Guest

what is the clock speed on your comp? What do you mean by it wanted to encode it, to something other than .dv? What did it ask you?

5. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

I have Nero, Ulead, WinDVD and tried others. Everytime I captured a digital video it wanted to encode through software to dvd format, that was ok but it took a very long time to finish and it did not matter what the setting I used it always wanted to encode, several hours and computer was done till it was over. PVR 250 card uses on board encoder and therefore it is faster, length of the video.

From MiniDv through fire wire, what software would/do you capture with?

Cheers,
    Chris

6. macburner

macburner Guest

well to capture/edit I use avid xpress pro, and to encode/author I use dvdit by sonic. what software by ulead do you have? And (if you have XP)have you tried windows movie maker? if you dont have xp some software that could work for you is adobe premier elements. Another thing to consider is a direct to dvd camcorder. Although you can not edit, there is no pc involved. Also sony makes a dvd writer that you plug your camera into and hit record and it makes a dvd. However once again you can not edit. just some food for thought...

[​IMG]
    the sony dvd recorder

7. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Thanks for your comments,
    Looks like you are on a much higher video level then I am at this point. I found few Canon cameras which offer S-video, problem solved.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. macburner

macburner Guest