1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my DVD+R's still work with my old solder mod chip if I install a fliptop?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mook8515, Apr 23, 2004.

1. mook8515

mook8515 Member

I currently use an old origa chip and have to use Action Replay 2 to boot my DVD+R's. I want to install a fliptop in order to backup some newer games, but the fliptop only uses DVD-R. If I install the fliptop, will I still be able to use my DVD+R's with Action Replay 2 (I do this by starting AR2, then swapping in the DVD+R's)?

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

if your ps2 reads +r backups now then it will still read them with the fliptop.The swapmagic discs will boot backups on either +r or -r media aslong as your ps2 version supports that type of media

3. mook8515

mook8515 Member

Ok, but I have a V2 PS2 and many are saying that if I get a fliptop, only DVD-R's will work. However, Right now I am only using DVD+R's with my origa chip and they work fine except for the new ones. Is there a chance my DVD+R's will not work if I install a fliptop or is that not likely?

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

what most people are refering to is the fact that 99% of v2 ps2 won't read dvd+r discs fitting the fliptop will in no way affect what media it will read or wont if it reads +r media now then it will read +r meria after you fit your flip top as all your changing is the case your not modifying the the ps2 laser or internals in any way(apart from removing the top of the dvd drive case)so i would think that it is very unlikley that fitting the fliptop will affect the media your ps2 reads in any way

5. mook8515

mook8515 Member

Ok thanks, thats very good to hear. So I will still be able to boot up Action Replay 2 and then switch in my DVD+R even with the fliptop? It seems like the eject button won't work anymore if I install the fliptop.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Version 2 PS2 - Origa Chip (action replay 2 to boot)
    Memorex DVD+R[/small]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  6. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I just want to let you know that in order to boot your dvd+r backups, you can't just swap it with Action replay. You can with cd-r backups. The reason is that the Action replay is not a dvd. In order to play dvd+r backups using the Action Replay/Gameshark you will need to follow these booting instructions:

You will have to use the "Too many codes" trick. Load AR2v2 Select Action Replay Codes Highlight 'Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2' Code (or any that has around 60 codes activated) press START press EJECT and insert Original-TOC-DVD and press EJECT to close wait 10 Seconds now press X on 'with Codes' and X once again Error-Message appears: 'Too many Codes' Original-TOC-DVD stops spinning. Now, using the fliptop, swap the original dvd game with your dvd+r backup. press X to confirm Error-Message now press Circle twice to enter Mainmenu again choose 'START GAME', 'without Codes' and then X to boot the game.

I am sure this will becoma a hassle after a while. I would highly recomend getting the swap magic along with the fliptop. Here's how you boot dvd+r backups using the swap magic:
    1. Boot the Swap Magic dvd version
    2. Using the fliptop, swap the Swap magic dvd with your dvd backup
    3. Press X to load

See how much easier it is:)

Also, the eject/reset button will work after installaion (unles you pinch it by accident) because it never gets disconnect from the main board.

7. mook8515

mook8515 Member

Yeah, I planned on getting the swap magic along with the fliptop because it would be a lot less trouble. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my DVD+R's will work if the eject button still works so that is reassuring. Thanks for the info.

If this is correct, I think I will have a much higher compatability rate because I could try both the solder modchip method and the fliptop method.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Version 2 PS2 - Origa Chip (action replay 2 to boot)
    Memorex DVD+R[/small]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  8. jlpk007

jlpk007 Member

sorry...can i ask u a question about DVD+R with origa...cause i have a jap ps2 (scph30000,i think is v4) mod with origa ...and i backup my ps2 game on DVD-R and they cant boot... can yours boot DVD-R using the normal AR2 select no code swap?

THANKS

9. mook8515

mook8515 Member

I think they can. But I know they can't with the new games that don't work witht he DVD+R also. Which games are you trying?

10. jlpk007

jlpk007 Member

u mean origa cant boot new game???i am trying MEGA man X7.

11. mook8515

mook8515 Member

new as in 2004, megaman x7 worked for me. (DVD+R)

12. jlpk007

jlpk007 Member

Hi mook8515

can u tell me what version of ps2 u haveand the boot method u used to boot DVD+R?(I used DVD-R,mine is ver4 using AR2V2)...i am desperate to know hhow to boot dvd-R on my origa...when everyone can except me..

Thank You

13. jlpk007

jlpk007 Member

i got it working...FINALLY.............using "DVD+R"..wasted 3 piece of DVD-R.......TRied backing up my kindgom heart...........