1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will not finish burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by coneslayr, Feb 4, 2005.

1. coneslayr

coneslayr Member

Hello,
    I am very new to DVD burners and just received the 3520A a couple of days ago. I am using X-copy platinum to back up movies. I haven't had it finish a burn yet. I have made 6 very nice coasters so far. My system is a HP Vectra Pentium celeron 850 MHz with 128 megs of ram and a little over 10 gigs of hard disk space remaining. The DVD writer is set up as the secondary Master and a DVD-ROM is set up as the secondary slave. I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2. The movie I am trying to back up has been backed up before by a friend of mine using X-copy Platinum. I don't know anything else about his system. Would anyone know what the problem might be? I would really appreciate any help. I haven't received any error messages just told the burn stopped and to look at the log file. When I do it basically tells me the burn completed or stopped. Not much help there.
    Thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I'm a little confused. Are you saying the movie you are trying to back up is your friends copy. If this is true, then the problem is that you can't recopy a dvd made with X copy software with X copy again. The software is designed to stop duplicate copies with itself. Howvever Any other disc copy program should be able to copy it because it is no longer encrypted. Nero, RecordNow or Roxio should do it in disc copy mode. The other possible problem is you are very close to maxing out your HD with only 10 gig left. It should work on smaller dvd5 movies but may error out on larger dvd9 movies.

Jerry

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

good advice there from Jerry746

4. coneslayr

coneslayr Member

It is a new movie and not a copy, just stated that it was able to be copied. It reads the entire movie and saves it on the HD just quits during the write cycle. Could it still be the low HD space causing this? I'm thinking of doing a clean install of XP and see if that makes any difference.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes it could very well be the HD issue. Like I said you are almost maxed out. Try removing some junk or useless files, then defrag the HD and try again. If your 10 gig is spread out all over the HD it will be an issue. Also SP2 has been a problem with burning on some systems.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  6. coneslayr

coneslayr Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I am going to reinstall XP but I'll wait on SP2. I'll post later this weekend with the results.

7. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

From your specs, you may not have enough processor memory and HD space to be doing this and if you do get it to work it's going to run very slow.XP PRO 128meg ram IS NOT ENOUGH 256meg min. If you run less than 256 with xp your going to experiance problems all the time.For example I to was running a pc about the same specs as yours except a little more memory 320meg took me over an hour to rip and burn at 4X bottle neck being the read. Built new PC
    CPU: northwood P4 3.0C clocked 3.3gig
    mem: 1gig kingston hyperX
    HD: 1raptureSATA,and 120gig WD SATA
    Now I can rip and burn(8X)Sony DRU710A less than 20 minutes.

Good Luck

Spacedust

8. coneslayr

coneslayr Member

Ok. I reloaded XP and ended up with 16 gigs free on my HD. I also up the ram. Nothing helps. Always the exact same problem.