1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will only burn at 4x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wowzers, Dec 12, 2004.

1. wowzers

wowzers Member

Hi again all. I posted this prob a couple of weeks back and have yet to find a solution. I have tried everthing and still cannot burn other than 4x. I have a sony DRU-710A Double Layer burner. I am using latest nero with updates 1 and 2 only. OS is windows xp home edition. I am using nero express for my projects. Here is a rundown of what I am doing in case I am missing something. 1/I click on nero express 2/ I select DVD-video files 3/ I click on add and go to where I have my movies stored. (saved from a burnt 4x -r ritek go4 copy)4/ After selecting my movie and adding to nero I click on 'next'. 5/ Here I see my drop down window with writing speeds. I have the option 1x,2x,2.4xand maximum. I select 2x and then insert my disk-ritek silver matte 4xgo4. After about 10 seconds of disk drawer closing the writing speed window then blacks out and switches to 4 times. This goes for my -r 4x media as well as with my +r 4x media. I realize I cannot burn quicker but I wish to burn slower as I get the odd glitch and freeze when burning. If I click on options I see near the bottom "adapt writespeed to disc enabled", with a check mark beside it. I removed the checkmark thinking this might be my prob so I put it back. My book type setting is set to automatic. Everything is set to default settings. I even reinstalled nero just in case. I updated my drives firmware to BYX2 as well. I do not understand why I cannot have the option to burn slower because my buddies all use ritek 4x media and are able to have the option to burn slower than 4x. Is it my burner? Is ritek media not compatible with this burner? I find when I burn -r media at 4x I am having alot of playback issues in standalone players. I am burning both -r and +r media because of the fact the playback is greater with the +r for me which I don't understand as well. yet my buddie can burn a -r ritek with his pioneer without any playback issues on the same player that wouldn't play mine.He burns at 2x and I am stuck at burning 4x. I am wondering if this is my issue and why I can't change burn speeds. BRING ON THE INPUT, THANKS

2. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

iam having the same problem. just upgraded to the plextor 716a tlc 0202 rev 1.02. i am also having trouble burning at 1x or 2x. in nero it shows it can go down to 2.4x, but has soon has i slap in the 4x dvd + or -. it jumps up to 4x!1. my old pioneer dvd burner burnt at 1x and it was a 8x burner. how can i get it to go down to 1x or 2 x again. is this a hardware issue or a media issue.? it seems we both need help

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

something tells me it is media related with my sony burner. I did some research and found out that the sony is mostly compatible with high end media ie verbatim,sony,etc. It was not compatible with my riteks. As well as not being able to burn at anything other than 4x it was very incompatible with most dvd players. Alot of glitching, freezing, or would not play -r media at all. I found that the sony burner was more compatible with +r media (riteks) in some players which would play the -r media. Didn't make much sence at all. I finally got fed up and pulled the 240 dollar (cnd) burner out and bought a pioneer dvr 108 for 95 (cnd). I am using -r media (ritek) and have not had a prob since. I now have the option to burn at slower speeds as well. Much more compatible with the media I wish to use. I think It all boils down to compatibility with the burner and discs you are burning on. Save yerself a headace and return the other if possible. I was in grief for over 2 months with unlimited coasters. If you are in canada and are interested in good deals on pioneer burners and ritek media let me know. Its the cheapest i've found in Canada so far. Good Luck!!!