1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Pioneer DVR 108 Work With DVD X Copy Platinum?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Digibop, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Digibop

Digibop Member

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the Pioneer DVR 108 will work with DVD X Copy Platinum?

Thank You

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what you want to do with it ...

Burn dual layer discs with XCopy?
    No, since XCopy doesn't support dual layer burning

Burn at 8x?
    No, again XCopy doens't support that

Burn 4x media?
    Maybe, alot of newer burners with upgraded firmware will burn 4x media at 8x ... which won't help you

So ... the best thing to do if you want to be successful with XCopy is to buy 2.4x media (so you can control the burn)

Also what version of XCopy are you using?

3. Digibop

Digibop Member

I have the DVD XCopy Platinum Version.
    Still in the sealed box.
    I would like to make backups of full length videos (uncompressed) with one of the new dual layer burners.

I currently have a Plextor PX-708A and would like to upgrade to maybe the Pioneer 108.

What software would you recommend would do the dual layer burn? DVD Decryptor? Or something else?

I have use Nero Burning ROM for burning my discs.

Thank You

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

HURRY RETURN IT!! And get your money back.

You already have two programs that will burn dual layer. Both DVD Decrypter and Nero 6 have added dual layer support.

5. Khrondor

Khrondor Member

I agree return it, If u bought it after January 2004 or around there u cant copy protected stuff anyways. I bought it when i first got a DVD burner right before they got rid of the ripper on it, but theres alot of stuff thats better. I wish I hadnt wasted the $$.

DVD Decrypter, is really all u need to copy, it does DL also. I have the Pioneer DVR-108 and I use it all the time. You can use nero if you arent going to do dual layer burns.

Other good programs:

Alcohol 120%
    Nero 6.xx
    Copy ToDVD

I got the Roxio package with my first drive and I hate it now. The other stuff mentioned above is alot better IMO.

I tried a few duallayer Burns the other day. DVD Decrypter I would recomend (make sure u get the newest version). The Nero screw up one of them and I got pissed cause of the cost. Also use Verbatim, Dont get the Ridata ones. The drive is excellent once u upgrade the firmware to 1.10.

6. wtp

wtp Member

Krondor: you mentioned firming your 108 to 1.10. I tried the same and got error message "available target not found". Other strangeness with my 108: In My Computer the drive lists as a CDrom. I put a blank Verbatim DL in and tried to explore and it won't allow it. I am wondering if its a Sonic DLA thing. My Dell came with Sonic. I have another Dell with a 708 and had issues. A Plextor technician has confirmed that Plextor has issues with Sonic's DLA. Any thoughts.