1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will PS3 games be made in Blue-ray format?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Jaz97, Dec 22, 2005.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

using dvd9 only was not a good idea. it will cause alot of game developers not to developr on the 360 in later years. games will be just too lage.

2. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

They could release an external hd-dvd drive and call it something to play newer games for extra $$$$$$$$$$$$ after all it is micro$oft

3. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

they wouldnt. it would make them look less than sony. they want people to think it was smart adn that they are smart

4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

360 doesn't support hd-dvd, or there just aren't any games out with it, yet? And if it doesn't support it at all, I thought hd-dvd's main argument was that a large number of dvd players already on the market would be compatible, but the 360 isn't?

5. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Yea microsoft stuffed up bad by not having HD-DVD installed. But it hasnt even been fully made yet has it? been lots of delays from what ive read. From what i can tell HD-DVD is NEARLY the same as DVD so that it can be made in basicly the same way, using the same tech meaning that it doesnt cost as much to produce. But i dont think it will be read by a standard DVD player or 360, maybe with a little modding...

6. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i dont think a player could be modded that way. the hd-dvd uses blue-violet right? it would need a new laser

7. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

About being able to play hd-dvds on some dvd players - I could have swore I read something a long time ago last year that said this. I do notice that a clear advantage to hd-dvd is that dvd-making equipment will require little modification, so maybe that's where there was confusion.

8. blokbustr

blokbustr Member

maybe you just got it backwards because ive read that hd-dvd players will play reg. dvds

9. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

Discs to cost less than we think? i posted this in another forum, but it makes more sence here.

10. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

bi·re·frin·gence (bī'rĭ-frĭn'jəns) pronunciation
    n.

The resolution or splitting of a light wave into two unequally reflected or transmitted waves by an optically anisotropic medium such as calcite or quartz. Also called double refraction.

11. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

What will Blu-ray Disc products cost?

As with any new technology the first generation of products will likely be quite expensive due to low production volumes. However, this shouldn't be a problem for long as there is a wide range of Blu-ray "Disc products (players, recorders, drives, writers, media, etc) planned, which should help drive up production volumes and lower overall production costs. Once mass production of components for Blu-ray products begins the prices are expected to fall quickly.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs."
    BS google for real info

12. dMerc

dMerc Member

What will they do with all that space? Will the games just be bigger? What about movies?

13. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

it will mean bigger/longer games, and will mean textures wont be compressed to save space. the less compression, the more detail and load speeds.

14. dMerc

dMerc Member

That's gonna be great! One game is going to last me a year. Although how much more would a game company be willing to invest in a game. They already spend 15-20 million on the games now.

15. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

one year? how so?

16. dMerc

dMerc Member

That one year thing is kind of an exaggeration...but if a 4.5 or 9 GB game lasts as long as they do now think about if they really make a game last the entire 25?? The games will last considerably longer.

17. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

True. Plus being Bluray won't hike up production costs that much. The biggest increase will be due to the PS3's Cell processor but at least they used an already existing programming language so it will be slightly easier. Plus the game companies won't need to spend much on compression. And if it's like 15GB then they can just use a 15GB Bluray disc instead of a 25GB one. The XBox 360 however would need a lot of money to go into compressing the games. Plus I don't think it will be mathematically longer. Like a 5GB game lasts 10 hours so a 10GB game will last 20. I think it will be slightly but look much much better.

18. Drez143

Drez143 Member