1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Shrink Convert a British PAL DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cannew, Apr 25, 2004.

1. cannew

cannew Member

I want to buy a British DVD and I don't know if it will play in my player. So will Shrink be ablle to read the dvd and convert it to our region?

2. daba

daba Guest

Hi Cannew,

No, DVD Shrink cannot convert from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa). Actually I'm not aware of any one-click DVD-backup tool that can perform such a conversion.

Maybe DVD Rebuilder, but it's still in beta:
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdrb.htm

Cheers,

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2004
  3. cannew

cannew Member

Thanks Daba, I'll keep searching but it does not appear to be any easy way. If my computer could read PAL, maybe I could play it and send the video and audio directly to my dvd recorder.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

If you were to use DVD Region free,Would not DVD Shrink work on The DVD?This is a question not an Answer.Or what about DVD Decrypter W/DVD RegionFree first?Then Shrink

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It isn't just a matter of different region codes. NTSC and PAL are different formats. Check out the glossary here - it'll explain :)

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sorry bout that was'nt thinkin.To much whacky bakky today

7. siber

siber Regular member

Cannew, I have made multiple copies of Region2 DVD's in PAL. You can reset your DVD burner to Region2( as you know, you can only reset 5 times) and you will have no problem watching your PAL DVD on your computer. You can also get DVDIdle PRO or DVD RegionFree which will allow you to watch all Region DVD's without limitation. I have used Shrink to copy French and British DVD's and the copies where playable on my Region1(US) DVD player and NTSC TV.

8. woof811

woof811 Regular member

i was under the impression that once you have backed a movie up with dvd shrink that it was region free and so would play in any region ?
    i could be wrong ?

9. cannew

cannew Member

Siber:
    Quote: "I have used Shrink to copy French and British DVD's and the copies where playable on my Region1(US) DVD player and NTSC TV."

Did you have to do anything before you used Shrink to copy the British dvd's?

10. siber

siber Regular member

I am Belgian living in North Carolina. I order European DVD's over the Net by mail. I have AnyDVD and DVD RegionFree on my computer. I load the DVD in my DVD burner and use Shrink to rip the movie to my HD. Then I use Nero/CloneDVD/RecordNow(either one of these works fine) to burn the movie to DVD. Obviously the DVD is RegionFree but it is also playable in every stand-alone DVD player I have used to show the movie on a NTSC TV. It seems that most/?all DVD players are set up to handle both PAL and NTSC signals . To answer the question, no, I never do anything before using Shrink. In addition to that I have one a single occasion ripped a region1 movie(NTSC) using the same method and sent the copy to a family member in Belgium. They had no difficulties watching the movie on a PAL television.

11. cannew

cannew Member

Interesting. I wonder if you need DVD RegionFree in order for Shrink to read the British DVD? Does RegionFree work in background?

12. siber

siber Regular member

RegionFree just allows you to not have to reset your DVDplayer to region2. I don't see how it could do anything to the signal itself.

13. brian100

brian100 Guest

Your PAL british DVD will play on your pc with no problems, but obviously not (very well, if at all) on your standalone player with your current TV. The region code is totally immaterial on your pc, after it's been ripped.

I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, on TMPGEnc but I am sure you can (convert) re-encode the movie from PAL to NTSC. I am not sure how great the ouput quality is but it may be worth some further research on your part. Dont ask me how! ive never used the app but ive read about it on this and other forums. Theres apparently a 30 day trial available so why not give it a try.

I also had a quick look on google and managed to find an ap called "DVanced PAL/NTSC Converter". Again I have no experience of it but you cna read a review of it here :-

http://www.computervideo.net/mar03-4.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2004
  14. Nephilim

Region-free firmware hacks abound - no need to spend $$ on software!

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  15. siber

siber Regular member

Many DVD players in the US will play PAL and NTSC on a NTSC television. As I noted earlier, my European DVD's - once the region code stripped + ripped by shrink + burned on DVD+R play perfectly on my stand-alone JVC player. You can presently buy a Cyberhome DVD player at BestBuy or Sam's for $35-40 that actually states in its specs that it plays PAL/NTSC. As I said earlier, many/most DVD players do that anyway...I have a collection of 100-125 European DVD's and I have had 100% success with the above mentioned process. If all you want to do is watch Region2 DVD's on a NTSC television, there is no need to convert from PAL to NTSC...

16. Nephilim

The problem lies with some T.V. sets that can't handle PAL :)

17. siber

siber Regular member

Nephilim, you are going to get me all confused...I play my PAL DVD's on any NTSC television and my family plays my NTSC DVD's on their PAL televisions in Europe as long as the Region Code has been removed by eg. Shrink. I can only deduct that there are many DVD players that read the PAL signal but can somehow spit it out as a NTSC signal and vice-versa. It must somehow be simpler to manufacture the DVD players able to play PAL as well as NTSC and then just make them Region Coded according to which part of the world they go to.

18. Nephilim

I don't believe the players do any sort of conversion at all. The players can read both formats fine and most TVs do as well but there are some TVs that have trouble with PAL. I didn't say it was a universal rule :)

19. siber

siber Regular member

My PAL VHS tapes are never watchable on NTSC televisions. That would make me believe that my NTSC televisions cannot handle a PAL signal. As a matter of fact I have an analog PAL/SECAM/NTSC converter for those...

20. daba

daba Guest

@ siber & Nephilim:
    Some players do convert the signal. My JVC player allows me to watch a NTSC DVD on an old PAL TV because it converts the frequency from 60 Hz to 50 Hz. It's stated in the player's specs. Anyway, I'm sure my TV cannot handle NTSC signal.

@ cannew:
    There is no need to install a hacked firmware or to spend money for RegionFree. DVD43 does so for free.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43.cfm