1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Shrink Create HDTV worthy copies?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tinione, Feb 9, 2007.

1. tinione

tinione Member

Hello everyone. Its been a long time. I think this is the right forum for this question. I am a big fan of Shrink and have used it faithfully to create backup copies of my movies. I am purchasing a new 53" Sony LCD television and a HD DVD player this weekend and I am concerned that every copy that I have made for the last 2 years with Shrink will look horrible when played in high definition. I have used Ridata and Taiyo as media for all of my copies and use Nero to burn. Has anyone every viewed their copies in HDTV before?

2. cartjunky

cartjunky Member

The answer depends on how much compression your using.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have a 60" HDTV (Sony) and there is no differance in viewing my movies. You need to remember unless your DVD is HD it isn't going to show in HD anyway it will just play as a normal DVD. To be honest the picture isn't a whole lot different in HD anyway, now don't get me wrong you can notice a difference in an HD program, but when it comes to watching a DVD it isn't a really big differance. Of course this is just my opinion and my eye sight might not be to good anymore :)

4. tinione

tinione Member

Thank you both for response. CartJunky, to answer your question, 90% of the time I use 100% compression with the exception of TV series DVDs where the compression is aroun 60%. I don't believe that I have ever compression less than 55% even for televison series.

I hope you are correct bbmayo and I can not tell a difference. But if its extremely noticeable, I still have my originals and will use the copies for when I travel and watch them on my portable dvd player.

5. Shardel

Shardel Guest

I have played my Shrink copies on my HDTV and find the picture to
    be fine. However I played a couple on my son's TV with an up-
    converting player. The picture on that was truly outstanding.
    You won't notice much difference if you haven't seen both, but
    the upconvert was better. I might add the upconvert was on a
    plasma which has a slightly better picture to begin with.

6. kg2

kg2 Member

i play my Shrink-compressed DVDs on a 40 inch Samsung LCD with a display of 720p. i use an upconverting philips dvd player hooked up with an HDMI cable.

i can definately note differences in a movie that has been compressed to less than 93-90%. they are fairly minimal and not distracting; however, once i got used to a 40 inch display (vs. a 27 inch CRT) i could note those differences. once you go below 80% compression the general picture appears to be a bit blurry. not to the level of standard TV, though.

i have a few episode DVDs where i had to compress to around 55%... the pic quality on these discs is a bit worse than standard TV pic quality. i now use "deep analysis" on every disc that requires compression to less than 95%. i am also splitting the few discs where i really feel that i want the special effects to be preserved.

bottom line: you're going to note a difference in pic quality with a 53" 720p display. you may want to reburn and split some discs in your collection. make sure to use component or HDMI cables to maximize the signal getting to your TV (don't purchase cables from best buy or circuit city etc for $100, get them online for about $20). you can research up on upconverting players since some people don't think it makes a notable difference (mine was $80, so even if it doesn't make a big difference it wasn't a big loss).

overall i still enjoy watching my collection. but it has made me think twice about purchasing a dual-layer burner and using dual-layered media for future movie backups. enjoy your tv - mine is only 40 inches and i love to watch movies and play games on it.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

tinione
    I've also noticed other people around the forums saying upconverting players make a difference. 60% is pushing it though if high quality, or good quality, is desired for a big screen. A lot of people who have the software go to an encoder past 80%, if the best quality really makes a difference.

8. hallway

hallway Member

My "shrinked" DVDs typically look fine on my 57" HDTV. I've always been very cautious with compression rates in Shrink too though. In fact, for a while, I strived for 80%. If it was lower, I did movie only.

The problem you will run into once you start watching programming (you do know that you need to upgrade your cable or satellite service or add an OTA antenna to normally get "HD" ??) and/or HD-DVDs and then watch "normal" TV or SD DVDs. I don't have a hi-def DVD player, but many times I'm very disappointed in the PQ of DVDs, having gotten used to HD programming.

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

If the last 2 years you've been using DVD Shrink's enhancements quality "DA + AEC + Max Smooth," or if you've been backing up "Main Movie" only, then you're safe.

For anything below 75% of Video Quality ratio, I'll simply fire up my DVD-RB Pro + CCE 2.70.2.0 via 3 PASSES VBR and I can honestly say that all of my backups looks amazing on my 55" Sony Widescreen HDTV.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Alkohol
    LOL You're preaching to the choir here, except I opt out at 80%. A lot of time I'll go ahead and use RB/CCE without paying close attention to the compression. I load it and go ahead with whatever I'm doing. I just finished a batch job with Gridiron Gang, Open Season, Garfield 2, and Hard Luck. Was there any difficult protections in that bunch? ;) I did notice some compression ratios near 60%. I decided to go with CCE SP 2.70.02.12 and occasionally I've tried the newer CCE SP2. Like you I use the 3 pass selection. I can't tell any difference between the CCE SP and CCE SP2. The CCE SP2 from the RB standpoint looks like another SP upgrade instead of a program change. Guess Custom Technology needed to sell some more software.

11. tinione

tinione Member

Thanks everyone. I feel a great deal better about viewing my movies.
    I always choose "Movie" only if the compression drops below 90%.

Alkohol and PacMan777, for the televsion series disks like 24, how can you keep the quality of the picture without sacrificing the menus? I want the ability to choose scenes within the episode. Generally these disks are compressed less than 70%.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The easiest way to keep the quality of the movie or series in your case I found is to just go ahead and put them on two DVDs. If your concern is to keep all the menus and have them work then try using CloneDVD2. Here is a guide of how to do this while preserving menus (that actually work) 1:1 Backup

13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@tinione

I'd already answered this on my first post/reply, but here it is again. For anything below 75% of Video Quality ratio, I'll simply fire up my DVD-RB Pro + CCE 2.70.2.0 via 3 PASSES VBR and I can honestly say that all of my backups looks amazing on my 55" Sony Widescreen HDTV.

Again, if your into "quality" like me, then DVD-RB Pro is the best route to go. As for encoder's engines, there are few out there: CCE SP, CCE SP2, Canopus ProCoder2, Hank's HC (FREE) http://www.bitburners.com/HC_Encoder/ -- however, CCE is the fastest and it will top all when it comes to speed.

That being said, have a look around, try them all and see which one fits your needs and go from there. I don't have the latest rig, so as of now DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70.2.0 is good for me (using 2 - 3 PASSES VBR is roughly 120 mins - 160 mins, depends on how long is the movie). I know a buddy (teflonmyk) who has a Intel core2duo and his encoded 2 - 3 PASSES VBR using DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP and he can get it done within 40 mins - 80 mins, which is truly awesome to me.

Here's my DVD-RB Pro + CCE 2.70.2.0 guide http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/420923 (if your interested).

14. tinione

tinione Member

Thanks Alkohol for the link to the guide. I am printing it out as I type. I did read your original post but was unsure as to whether these applications would still allow me to keep my functioning menus. I have notice some mention in the forums about these applications but I never really spent any time reading about them.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Since we're in the Shrink forum, I'll give you the quick and easy Shrink solution. Edit in Full DVD, you lose the menu function in Reauthor. All you need to do is insert Still Image for files you don't want on your recording. You can edit sound tracks in Full DVD as well. You can usually get the compression to where it is reasonable and cuases no problems. With the Quality Settings in Shrink, you'll notice little quality loss till you get around 75-80%. If you use alkohol's suggestion with 2 disks and no compression you can use the same method. Put your menu on both disks and spread the titles out between the 2 discs. If you happen to enter the wrong title, you'll loop back to the menu.

BTW, I agree with alkohol on the DVD-RB Pro and CCE SP, only I use it more often than he does at lighter compression levels. But if speed is an issue use the transcoders till 75-80% and then go to the encoders for heavier compression.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007