1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Shrink or Decrypter be compatible with DVD+R DL?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by markp, Jun 4, 2004.

1. markp

markp Guest

I'm considering buying a DVD burner, and see that dual layer burners are becoming available (although the media isn't out yet). If I buy one of these, I know I will be able to use the standard set-up (Shrink -> Nero, single layer), but will the same setup (especially Shrink) give me the option of not shrinking, so I can take advantage of the 8GB worth of space if I burn to DVD+R DL?
    Thanks.

2. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

Shrink would have to be updated to support it.

Nero 6 lets you shrink into both formats if you like. I have a Dual-Layer Sony Burner and the option for DVD-5 and DVD-9 "Targets" appear in the NeroVision Menu.

I haven't tried it yet though because I don't feel like paying $13 for a single DVD+R_DL disc.

Theoretically, you could shrink 2 whole DVDs onto 1 DL disc - you just need to add 1 custom Menu that lets you pick which DVD partition to play. But again, the media has to come down in price to be worth it.

If you're not in a hurry, I would wait a couple months before getting a new DL burner. I jumped on it because I saw one on sale at Best Buy for $150 and I have been using a HP CD-Writer Plus which is now about 5 years old.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.17ghz
    1GB PC2700 DDR-RAM
    Sony DRU-700A Double Layer Burner
    ATI 9700 PRO Video Card
    RealTek AC97 5.1 Sound Card
    Windows XP Home[/small]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you don't want to compress the movie then simply use DVD Decrypter to rip the film.

4. markp

markp Guest

Thanks.
    Nephilim - so would you say this is my way forward:

Shrink and Nero for single layer
    decrypter and Nero for double layer