1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Side Air Intake(or Exhaust) hurt air flow?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Xplorer4, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Right now I have a case(Thermaltake MozartTX, that does not have any side panel mounted fans, but I am looking to make a case change using my current components. I am undecided on a case for now, but a lot of the ones I am looking at have side panel ports for a 120MM, or larger, fan, but my current cooler is a Thermaltake with a similar design to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 so it takes intake air from the front of the case and pushes it out the back through the exhaust. Would a side mounted fan disrupt the air flow or would it depend on the case?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

[​IMG]

That is a pretty general idea of how airflow should go ^

My PSU is top left and CPU is central, with no top or bottom fans, and it's cool enough. I.e:

- a 120mm intake front-bottom
    - a 120mm on CPU (which is a hyper 212) drawing air over heatsink towards back of case
    - a 120mm side intake fan, airflow essentially directly on to CPU heatsink
    - two 120mm out fans at the back

Side intake fan isn't going to hurt your airflow as long as you're still pulling the hot air away from relevant components. If you want a more informed and probably case-specific opinion, ask here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-216/the_official_pc_building_thread-4th_edition-867265/232

3. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

rule of thumb is to push out more air, than you pull in. doing so creates a wind channel effect. i generally don't use side fans but i also don't recommend leaving a hole in the side of your case as this can disrupt the channeling so cover it up with a material of your choice if its not occupied by am active fan.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if side fan is right on top of cpu fan then set side fan as intake not exhaust.

5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

6. ddp

if cpu fan blows to side case fan then side case fan is set to exhaust not intake as will cause airflow disturbance.

7. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Sorry ddp, broken English is not your strong suit(nor like you for that matter). Any chance of putting this in proper English when you get a chance. :p If your on a cell phone, and trying to be brief, I am in no rush for a reply. Feel free to wait until you get to a proper keyboard. :)

8. ddp

canadian english is my birth langauge. keyboard is standard version & works properly. that cpu fan in your link exhausts the air away from the cpu so side panel fan has to do the same.