1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the PS3 Pull Through?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by vinny13, Jul 11, 2007.

1. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Well, I've been wanting to buy a PS3, but so far there has been nothing but negitivity surrounding it. People say that it's too "bloated" and for that reason, no developers want to make games for it, no one wants to get one because of it's price, it has no rumble, all games are going multi-platform, ect. Pretty soon I will have enough money to purchase one, so I want to know if I'm doing the right thing.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  2. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Well it just had a $100 price drop in North America. So for Canada it is $559.99. I currently own a PS3 and I haven't had one problem with it at all. I think it will probably win in the console war by the end because it has blu-ray and that helps out a lot of game company's with the extra space. Currently most games are only up to 15GB but blu-ray will benefit everyone soon. I heard that Rockstar is having a hard time fitting GTA: IV onto a Dual-Layer DVD.

3. cartucho

cartucho Member

of course it will come trhough. just check E3 game releases to be due at the end of the year and next year. most of those games look insane. thats all sony needs better games and they look like they are doing a nice. just check killzone 2. games look sick and they just showed in game footage. I bet you all the money in the world that sony is wating to launch that game when Halo 3 launches.

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I just posted this on another forum in reference to MS's Peter Moore's comments on the PS3's future and current price drop so to quote myself...

And there is more to it than that. See people want to throw out #'s all the time saying the 360 has "won" this and that, but if you look at the numbers it is not possible. The 360 has ONLY about 12 million in sales currently and if you compare that to the original Xbox customer base it doesn't look good....the original only sold through 25 million.

Now I am no financial analyst or trends analyst but I can see a pattern or the "writing on the wall" and it doesn't look too optimistic in the long run for MS's 360's customers (think about how they are with Windows and then you will also see even more openly).

Now getting back to the future of the PS3...If you are a company who makes games then it boils down to the money at the end of the day and in order to make money you need to put your product on a system that can provide the best return i.e. greater chance of sales by choosing who has the better customer base. Okay, with that said right now the 360 would be a better chance at a better return BUT they don't have the penetration that Sony has with it's previous consoles (PS1 & PS2) so in the long run they won't have as many customers plus one could even go as far to say that "said company X" could stick with PS2 and undoubtedly make great returns since the PS2 has an installed base of over 115 million but we are talking about "Next Gen" so I will stick to that.

Now there are more factors & information that needs to be looked at say the Wii's popularity etc. but you wanted to know if your money would be wisely spent and you would get the best value for your investment on a PS3. I myself have 2 (20 gb & 60 gb), a Wii, a 360 as well as many other consoles but out of them all I use the PS3 most; since in my opinion & for MY tastes it is more refined and mature. Plus with titles like MGS4, Haze, Killzone and my favorite series Gran Turismo on the way I am quite happy with my investment.

I kinda rushed some aspects of this reply and am sure some people will have their own views and "rebuttals" but as a customer I wouldn't want to have another Dreamcast on my hands in the 360 as the DC was a GREAT system and hopefully MS can fix their issues with their hardware to warrant a person to invest their money in them. Especially with the great lineup of games the currently have as well as are coming soon.

Look, honestly it is not about what system is "better" since ALL of them are about fun. So if you want the best experience try to get them all, I understand that is expensive but you don't have to get them at one time and the games will always be there when you finally get whatever console. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  5. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

Doesnt matter when Killzone 2 launches... Halo3 will sell out no matter what. But I have a feeling it wont be as good as the hype says it is. The game is over rated Imo.

I think GOW took off where Halo2 left off. GOW2 is gonna be the biggest release ever especially if the movie comes out around the same time.

Anyways its too early for the PS3 to dominate right now. Sony consoles usually doesnt truly take over the market until 3 or 4 years into its life. But the PS3 doing pretty good right now being released only 8 months ago. Price drop and Home and a great line up of games all to be released within its first year. What happened to the 360 8 months to a year after its release? Nothing but faults and over heat problems.

So yes go ahead and get one. With the price drop it is the perfect time actually. Buy one on Amazon and get 5 free Bluray movies plus a remote!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. jesse286

jesse286 Regular member

I have a feeling Sonys PS3 will prevail by next year. Cause things aren't looking so good for Microsoft at least in my eyes cause alot of there 360 break. Just need too wait for more games to come out for the PS3 then things will be better.

7. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

oh yeah i think it will pull through, it's a playstation, it cant be complete failure. it's when does the market and the consumers want the ps3 "pulled through"?

8. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

in Canada the price was at first $650 then Sony raised the price $50 to make it $700 b/c of the Canadian dollar now they dropped the price $150 so it now currenty for $550 CDN

$650->$700-->$550

9. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

in my opinion sony has done proven themselves i was 13 when ps1 came out and i had a n64 4 months later i made the jump to playstation and was happy doing so in the year 2000 the powerhouse known as the ps2 came out and took the world by storm eliminating sega from the console war and is now a system that can be found in probably 9 out of 10 homes (not a real statistic) and now we got the ps3 which if the people that have loved sony products for so long would take a breathe and think that theyre getting a deal for the money not to mention that u dont have to worry about that 30 percent chance of the system breaking the choice is yours but i think microsoft should stick to what it knows best and thats windows but in microsofts defense if u dont have hdtv then yeah the price is appealing but if u do then remember this no hd movies no hdmi(unless u get the elite) unless u wanna get the hddvd add on which puts the price right up there with ps3 and u still dont get a lot of the features bundled with the ps3 out of the box