1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Toshiba SD-3805 play recorded DVDs

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by newbie21, Dec 5, 2004.

1. newbie21

newbie21 Guest

I'm a newbie to recorded DVD's. MY brother-in-law just sent me a buch of family movies on a DVD-R. The DVD-R plays fine on my computer, but not on my DVD player. The Media is MXLRG02. I tried copying it to another brand ( FujiFilm PRODISC ), just incase the media was the problem, but I still have the same problem. The DVD never gets read by the player and just locks up.

After reading a bunch of the messages here, I do understand that there is quite a bit of issues with the source of the Media vs. Brand, and that not all items are compatable. Please let me how how I can make DVD's that would be compatable with my SD-3805. Is there a more compatiable media over what I have tried? Am I screwed? Is there something that my brother-in-law may have goofed-up?

Thanks!

2. jdhowe77

jdhowe77 Guest

greetings....did you ever find a solution to your problem? i have been trying to get a dvd photo slideshow to play on my in-laws toshiba sd-3805 but to no avail. i have tried dvd-r and dvd+r. they work in every other dvd player i have tried, and i have tried several.

i found some other folks with our same problem here. it sheds some light on the problem, but i still dont have a total solution. i am pretty frustrated by the whole thing.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...1&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

thanks.

3. newbie21

newbie21 Guest

Unfortunatly, I can not shed any further light on the matter as you are the first person who is familiar with the problem, and who has responded. I almost get the impression that noone else had experienced this problem. I thank you for the link, and do promise to let you know if I find any resolution.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

In short if your player will not play burnt dvds where others can, you have to get another standalone that will. Have you tried other burnt dvds in your player?

5. newbie21

newbie21 Guest

I have not tried any other burnt DVD's. It might be hard to believe, but in my circles I'm the first with a DVD burner that I'm aware of.

If you look up Toshiba SD-3805 on the net, half of the sites claim that it is capable of playing DVD-Rs. The operators manual says nothing about it, but this is a player that was purchase 2 1/2 years ago, before DVD burners were as common as they are today

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Because your player is so old (sorry!) then I think you will really have compatibility issues.

7. jdhowe77

jdhowe77 Guest

i dont think its the age of the machine, just the machine itself. the players i tried were older than the toshiba and they played the dvd-r and dvd+r just fine.

bottom line. i am afraid the toshiba just cant play dvd+/-r's. thats what i can tell. one posting said it can play a dvd-rw, but i havent tried that yet. i am going to try a VCD this week, but am not going to be pleased with the quality i am sure. i have read a couple posts which say it can play VCD's but not SVCD's.

8. newbie21

newbie21 Guest

Any luck on the VCD?

One thing to note. The home movies were sent to a company that puts movies onto DVDs. The original DVD worked in my player. It was from this DVD that my Brother-in law made the copy.

I went to the Toshiba web site and sent an e-mail to customer service inquiring about this unit's capabilities of playing recorded media. The reply that I recieved stated that it will play DVD-Rs, and that if I was in need of further assistance to call Technical support at 800-631-3811.

Long story short...Customer Service Repesentative claims that the problem could be the software used to make the copy of the DVD. Supposedly even a direct copy of a DVD that works on your player, is altered by adding a small start program at the begining of the new DVD. The rest of the information would still be good and readable, just will not read because this new program could confuse the Toshiba. The issue according to the CSR is the software used to copy the DVD-R,not the DVD-R or the Toshiba.

New question---Do I believe this?!?!

9. jdhowe77

jdhowe77 Guest

i am headed to my father-in-laws tonight and have a test VCD ready to try. i will let you know. however, i did try the VCD in my toshiba dvd player (i dont have the model # handy) and it did not work whereas my player WILL play DVD-R and DVD+R. strange and frustrating. it pulled up the menu screen of the VCD, but you could not play any of the scenes. as i expected, the quality of the picture looked awful compared to the quality of the dvd's i burned.

fyi...i use NERO to burn my dvd's.

10. jdhowe77

jdhowe77 Guest

well, the VCD worked. my photo slideshow with music did work. however, as expected the quality of the pictures was poor. very grandular. to me, the VCD is not worth the effort after seeing the quality on DVD. my inlaws didnt seem to care, but i did.

i guess i am going to try either the sony or maxell dvd-rw next. i am going up there this weekend and will try again with this different medium.