1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this burner be good or not

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bofrag, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Bofrag

Bofrag Member

I just pre-ordered the Plextor PX-708A that burns in both dvd formats. It comes with the easy cd creator and i havnt seen anyone mention that that was a good burning program for ps2 backups. Is it a bad choice for backups or should i use my Nero 5.

I just bought the flip top and i should be getting that at the same time with my new dvd burner. Is this burner going to do the trick for me????????

2. Bofrag

Bofrag Member

3. Entwined

Entwined Member

Don't tell me you paid $299 for that...
    I just got my girlfriend an NEC ND 1300-A dual format (4X speed) for $170, and it can be found for less ($128). The 8X DVD+r writing the Plextor offers isnt true 8X, its 4-6X, then it finishes up the disc at 8X...not to mention there is NO 8X media yet. Its a waste of money getting it for as much as the site is selling it for. If I were you I'd cancel ASAP and then look around for a better deal, unless you like being reamed.

4. billz

billz Active member

why go with an off brand(well, i never heard of it)when you can get a sony +/-r burner tommorrow at best buy for cheaper and get a rebate on top of that of 30 dollars.here a link
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826241004&skuId=5456749&type=product

but if you decided to stick with the one you pre order im assuming price is 299 pus shipping it SHOULD work.

p.s. easy cd creator isn't good for ps2 backups check 1st topic for good programs i enjoy record now not one coaster yet!!!

5. Bofrag

Bofrag Member

Ya but i read in pcgamer that plextors 4x burner was rated a better deal than the sony because it was a little cheaper and burned at a faster time. this one is brand new and im sure it will get good ratings. plus the 8x dvdrs will be released shortly. this seems like the best way to go without having to upgrade soon. ill probably get some new software to back up my games.

6. Entwined

Entwined Member

I think you all need to go to meritline.com, dvdrhelp.com (its down right now, should be up soon) and tigerdirect.com so you can see how ridiculous these prices you think to be "good deals" truly are. Theres no difference with these supposed "offbrands" then most of the drives people pay $300 for, apart from no software included, but come on, you SHOULD have the right software, or get it elsewhere. The only tools I use were freeware, DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink. Dont bash OEM drives till you've burnt over 100 DVD-R's on one like I have, and 40 on another like my girlfriend has. Bottom line, OEM drives (barebones) are a GREAT Deal when all the truly necesary software is free to begin with.

7. billz

billz Active member

that a good point bofrog but if your main concern is burning ps2 games the best way to do it is to burn at the lowest speed posible.i just Suggest the sony because costumer support, it comes with record now dx, plus tons of other software, you can buy it tommorrow,and the 8x dvdr will most likely cost more if you want to pay more to save 10 minutes be my guest
    entiwined why should he pay brand name prices for oem products.im not saying oem is bad but the sony is the better deal with software package.

8. Entwined

Entwined Member

I said to pay a ridiculous amount of money for an OEM Drive? Uh...I don't recall this.

The only people willing to pay $300 + for a burner are those who enjoy paying extra for IDE Cables, 4 Screws, and software which has perfectly acceptable FREE alternatives that do the job just as well, if not better.

9. billz

billz Active member

uh.. did i say that that was a good deal? NO? i didn't think so. i just suggested if that's what he wanted to spend, he could get a better deal with the sony!bottom line is shop around bofrog if you want a "good deal"if you want immedate gratification and willing to pay a little bit more go with the sony you won't be sorry

10. Bofrag

Bofrag Member

wht does the average seek time mean for the burners???

11. robert34

robert34 Guest

I totally agree with Entwined.

NEC is a very well known brand in Europe, they stoped manufacturing in North America becuase there was to many competitors.

I have owned many NEC devices and all lasted much longer than anything else, i had a NEC CD burner which was compatible with ps2.