1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will UMD movies work on custom firmware?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by isaacivan, Sep 14, 2007.

1. isaacivan

isaacivan Member

i got a UMD movie today that requires 2.6 fw to play. as of right now, i have a 1.5 fw psp which i am planning to mod with custom firmware 3.52 m33, and therefore, i am not going to touch the upgrader that came with the movie itself.
    i am aware that i cannot play any umd games with this custom firmware but i wasnt sure about the purchased umd movies. please let me know if i can play this movie that requires 2.6 fw with a custom firmware such as 3.52 m33. thanks.

2. ST2006

ST2006 Member

You have misunderstood or been misinformed... of course you can play UMD games with it so I don't know what ou are on about, as for movies, of course you will!!

3. isaacivan

isaacivan Member

i thought with custom firmware, i wouldnt be able to play store bought cames. instead, i would only be able to play games via DLing it to the memory stick. so youre saying that with 3.52m33, i can pop in a umd game disc and play it?

4. ST2006

ST2006 Member

duhh.. obviously you can..

5. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

how did you get the idea that cfw can't play UMD games?it plays UMD games better than DLed games!

6. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Well not quite, it runs off the memory stick more efficiently. IE. Games run faster and saves the battery life too (no more loading from UMD > Memory stick)

7. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

huh?i thought it will run better with UMD because it would be 100% lag free.

8. szodrin

szodrin Guest

Nope, the UMD games run slower than those run from the memory stick. They also use more energy because of the moving parts involved. My load times are cut by more than half by running them off the memory card.

Also, keep in mind, the bigger the game the more data on the disc. The more data on the disc the less padding that can be used to push the data to the edge of the disc where the laser can read it faster. The read rate of an iso is not affected by the size of the game.

But don't forget, buying a game you like means the companies have more money to make new games and influences them to make similar games.