1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by rtrg, Aug 9, 2016.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Both I and the administrator of my building use win 7. Recently both of us have seen an "INVITE" dialog in the tray to upgrade to win 10 by setting a date in the future for the change. In my case I ignored it and it went away. In my admins case the change from 7 to 10 was done WITHOUT her permission. She has the CDs for win 7. She was told that if the change is less than 30 days old she can go back to 7 retaining programs, files, docs ect. Is this true? If yes how does she do it? If not will she need to do a fresh install of 7? How to retrieve docs, files, programs before the install? external hdd? Flash drive? Then install and copying flash to hdd? Any help for her welcome.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

After you upgrade to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it’ll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade. For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607, you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About.)

To go back, you'll need to:
    Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade.
    • Remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.
    • Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).
    • Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options