1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 2000?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by smg, May 15, 2003.

1. smg

smg Regular member

I have been told that win 2000 is the most stable OS to use. But which one? Professional,or data etc. There are three win 2000 OS systems. Can anyone with win 2000 reply with what they have (version)?I am thinking of switching from XPHome as I seem to see alot of people with problems making dvds using this system (XP Home). Would appreciate your input on both of these systems.

2. toniam

toniam Member

Just Windows 2000 Professional, the workstation version is enough.

There is no need for Server, Advanced Server nor Datacenter Server. Some of the usual software even refuses to run on server versions. I know that because I'm running W2K Server on one of my computers.

3. smg

smg Regular member

Ok, so the win 2000 Professional then will be the one to get. Now, for someone who is just your average know nothing person, and has basically used theur pc for surfing,games email and thats about it, how user friendly is the win 2000 pro? Will I have to know pc language,command language etc to use it?

4. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I have windows 2k and it works almost like win 98 except for security and network connections. It is by far their most stable system microsoft has. The only problem I have found with windows 2k is some older pc hardware(like printers) will not have drivers for the OS. The only thing I do not like is on startup it goes thru security setup which takes longer than 98 startup.

5. smg

smg Regular member

Is it user friendly for pc beginners (in that one who can use 98 or xp)? Or is it hard to use unless your pc savy?

6. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

It is not as user friendly as 98 but only when it comes to networking and security. Other than that it tends to feel like 98 where xp is much different than 98 and is not compatable with many pc hardware.

7. smg

smg Regular member

Oh ok. I am not going to do anything like networking (I assume that means business type stuff?) But just want to use it for surfing the web,email,chat (basically what I used 98 for). I wanted 2000 for the stability it has for to use my ripping and burning software so I can get trouble free burns. Other than that I would just use it to do surf and play games on etc.
    Is there anyway possible you could send me any screenshots of the main opening page so I could see just how difficult it looks like it would be for me to use?
    Thanks

8. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

when i get a chance i will send a screen shot but it will not look any different than windows 98. However on startup it will ask you to hit ctrl alt delete keys to get into win 2k and after that it goes to desktop that is no different than win 98.

9. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks alot dbecker. I appreciate it. If it's easy enough to use like win 98, then I can definetly deal with that np. I have been using 98 on my laptop (which is all I have ever used until I bought this tower pc which came with xp Home just a few monthe ago) for 5 years. So far with this xp I have been able to get around on it easily enough. I hope 2000 is as easy for my needs.

10. toniam

toniam Member

Choose "Windows Classic" as your theme and taskbar in XP then you have pretty good picture what Win2k looks like :)

It's good that you have used XP before, since most things works same way in W2k (Device manager, services etc).

You could say XP is Windows 2000 with a new user interface and better native support for many devices. And in some cases, a bit more unstabile. XP has worked fine with my computer, as 2000 did in its time.