1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win 98 ugrade to win xp freezes!!!! urgent help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Noamos, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Noamos

Noamos Regular member

Ok well I'm trying to upgrade my brothers pc to xp. Now I have tried to install it and it didn't continue with the installation, it went to back to win98 and kept on going on loading 98. Now pc takes forever to load win98 and I have tried to boot again for cd but it lock up like if the cd drive is not installed or something. I have also tried to restart and I get some message about advanced power mangement system the I get the error msvrg or something like that saying tries to preform something illegaly and can run the process. As of right now I just want to restore win 98 and try from there again or if anyone has any suggestions please let me know I'm at his families house for the weekend and have to fix this before I leave.

2. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

you can't install win xp on a win 98 machine. Motherboards back then and chip sets weren't made to be compatible with xp among other things. Every now and again there is the lucky one who somehow manages to get the upgrade to go through but it is not meant to happen. As far as the error message your getting, there is no way to get rid of that now except for running the repair option on the win 98 cd.

3. Noamos

Noamos Regular member

Well I have upgraded my computer running 98 but I also upgrade hdd. Another thing that your saying is that I'm f'ed for doing something this. Right? Or is there anything I can do to get their pc up and running before I leave. I don't think my bro has the win98 cd either, so what are my options. I just want his pc up and running. Thanks in advance.

Another thing I do get to run the boot up disk from xp but haven't got to completly install I get the can find filei make sure the disc is in the drive and so .