1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win XP boot up problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by davidas1, Feb 16, 2005.

1. davidas1

davidas1 Member

I changed a setting in Windows XP home edition, can't remember exactly what, but now it won't boot up. I get a 'NTLDR is missing' message. I can't even boot into safe mode (F8). Also, I can't make a recovery or boot floppy disk because I am using my laptop for now. It does have a cd burner. Any suggestions?

David

2. hogan

hogan Regular member

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

what u could do is find a friends computer, and copy your main boot files from his computer which are:
    1. boot.ini
    2. ntdetect.com
    3. NTLDR
    copy those three files onto a floppy and boot from that disk, and your computer should boot into Windows...then copy the NTLDR file and paste it into your C: drive...then take the floppy out and reboot....see if that solves your problem.

"it is always a good idea to keep a floppy with those three files copied onto it for these reasons, if one of those files becomes corrupt or is missing..these three files will boot any windows operating system."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2005
  4. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i have the same problem, happened to me last nite, put in the xp disk, went to "R", and it asked me for my administrator's passoword, which i don't have because i never set one up, (windows never asked me for a password when i first installed), so i never thought of putting one in. now i'm stuck. keeps saying ntldr is missing, press ctrl-alt-del. And, when i get into dos, my drive letters are all screwy. C: isn't there. (partitioned with c,d,e,f.) When i type in D:...i get D:\windows
    windows isn't in C:..in dos that is. I wonder if this has something to do with a HD problem, and the original drivers i put on there at the init of the motherboard.

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i have the same problem, happened to me last nite, put in the xp disk, went to "R", and it asked me for my administrator's passoword, which i don't have because i never set one up, (windows never asked me for a password when i first installed), so i never thought of putting one in. now i'm stuck. keeps saying ntldr is missing, press ctrl-alt-del. And, when i get into dos, my drive letters are all screwy. C: isn't there. (partitioned with c,d,e,f.) When i type in D:...i get D:\windows
    windows isn't in C:..in dos that is. I wonder if this has something to do with a HD problem, and the original drivers i put on there at the init of the motherboard.

6. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

"NTLDR missing" only happens either when there is floppy disk in the drive when you boot the system up, or if the file is missing or corrupt..... For both of you go to a friends computer and copy your three main boot files that i posted in the last post and it should boot into your system.......and follow instructions from previous post....and bklyn1028 u might have a badly corrupted version of Windows...or a virus...do you have antivirus software installed?????

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
  7. robk215

robk215 Guest

hey i am having a problem with my sony vaio laptop, teh problem is i keep getting this Ntldr message that comes up and i cant even get to my start screeen i dont know what to do. All i did was put the recovery disk in and when i got to the second disk it had said that an error has occured and system may not operate properly can someone please help me

8. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

allyou have to do is copy the NTLDR file from another computer, and copy it back to the root of your C:\ drive....and thats it....