1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win xp freezing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wiseup, Mar 8, 2007.

1. wiseup

wiseup Member

hi i`m currently running win xp and i have come upon a problem it boots fine then all of a sudden i hear like a click from the hard drive i think then it freezes for maybe about 10 sec then its fine again i`v not installed anything new in to windows or my pc

please help

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Whats running when this happens or is it right after booting.
    What does the CPU usage look like when it happens.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you're hard drive's making clicks, it could very well be on it's way out. back up all your data and be prepared to buy a new hard drive and install windows before anything else.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Auslander is right. My hard drive went out the same way. It would make clicking sounds, freeze and then go again. Slowly it would freeze for longer then it would boot but freeze immediately. Back up what you need to like Aus said. If your computer is some old fossil, get rid of it. If its fairly new, changing a hard drive isn't difficult ...hell, I did it and I'm a techo idiot. THere would be a lot a help for that in the hardware forum.

5. proto123

proto123 Member

My hard drive use to do the same thing, thought it was dying on me. Started getting blue screen errors too. I switched the power connectors to the hard drive and no problems since. Could also be power supply. Just switch the power connectors. You'll see!!! Good Luck!!!