1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win xp home

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by culpeck, May 1, 2011.

1. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

ive broken my win xp home disc and need to get another one ive d/l a few and when asked for the serial key i keep getting wrong key but this is an original key that i got with pc i wanted to do a clean install after wiping my disc does anyone know where i can d/l one or know what disc ci need to d/l

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need a disc that matches the original,so if it's a retail disc you download a retail iso etc,etc, the problem is there are many different versions of xp including OEM.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

how do i find the right one to d/l

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Find out which one you own,if it has hologram on top it'll be an upgrade,oem or a retail,if it's one of the first two it will have upgrade or OEM on it,at least i think it has OEM on it,i know the upgrade does.ask any friends if they have a disc handy & try it,if it works when activated make an iso image of it & burn it to cd,the discs aren't protected just don't forget to name the cd & write the code on it

edit:if there's no hologram it's a system builder disc in which case your most probably out of luck,there is another option get a local computer repairer to reinstall it using your serial key all shops i know of can & do

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Hello,

Look for and download WinKeyFinder it will tell you what your system is running and what key you are using.

Also with the disk you have already downloaded you can change it from retail to OEM to upgrade in any manner.

Here is a tutorial, i don't want credit for this as it is not my work, it was simply found just googling.

1.Copy all content of Windows XP CD to hard disk drive, or extract Windows XP disc image to a folder.
    2.Open the file \i386\setupp.ini in any text editor such as Notepad.
    3.Inside the setupp.ini, there is a “Pid” parameter with [Pid] header. The Pid variable consists of 2 parts. The first 5 digits is Microsoft product code (MPC) which determines the version of Windows XP that will be installed, the last 3 digits is channel ID that determines which CD-keys or product keys that the installation wizard will accept. Some example of standard combination for Pid for various editions of Windows XP:
    Windows XP RTM
    Retail: 51882335 (Retail edition accepting Retail CD keys)
    Volume License: 51883270 (Volume License edition accepting Volume License keys or VLK)
    OEM: 82503OEM (OEM edition accepting OEM keys or COA keys)

Windows XP SP2

Retail: 55274335
    Volume License: 55274270
    OEM: 55277OEM

Windows XP SP3

Retail: 76487335
    Volume License: 76487270
    OEM: 76487OEM

4.The first 5 digits of Pid is normally stayed the same for same version of Windows XP (i.e. RTM, SP1, SP2 or SP3). Thus, only the last 3 digits of Pid needs to be modified according to example above. Generally, channel ID for retail is 335, OEM is OEM, and volume licensing is 270.
    5.Use nLite or other disc imaging program to re-create or re-burn the modified Windows XP installation disc media or image.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011