1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win2k vs XP

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by geddydawg, Feb 13, 2007.

1. geddydawg

geddydawg Member

Hi Folks, Although Ive been doing video editing/ripping for a few years now, Im very new here to this forum. For about 4 years, Ive been running Win2k with all the various software thats spoken about in here, dvd decrypter, dvd2one, nero, etc, etc to make backups of purchased movies. About 2 weeks ago, by the support of a good friend, I was talked into upgrading to XP, and using the same software.

Welp, in doing such, I now have been making coasters. The movies still rip, shrink and burn, no problems... but when I go to play them in the same dvd player ive played all the movies Ive ever ripped, about every 20 or so minutes into the movies, it will stop/skip, etc.

Now this never happened at all with Win2k and said software, but seemed to happen with each and every one I did with XP. I thought it might have been bad media or a bad burner.. so, I did exchanged both, with XP still on board. Same issue.

Then, on a hunch, I grabbed a different harddrive, reinstalled Win2k, and all the same old software I was using, again. Come to find out, all worked wonderful again... Using the same burner, and the same media batch. Things played back with no pauses/skips/stops.

Is there something that needs to be done within XP to get everything to perform correctly when ripping/shrinking/burning?

Its a 1.7 system, with just over 1ghz of ram, sony 820 burner, nero 7.0.2

Can anyone offer any tips please?
    Thanks so much in advance!

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

My best guess is that your drives firmware needs to be updated. I am no expert and I could be way off but like I said its my best guess.