1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinAvi won't open rmvb file

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by anada2u, Sep 26, 2004.

1. anada2u

anada2u Member

I've got this error when opening rmvb file using WinAvi:
    ----------------------
    Information failing!
    No usable video stream, please make sure that the Media Player can correctly play both the video and audio of the file!
    ----------------------
    And yes, I can correctly play the file in Real Player 10. Anyone?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Winavi will handle RM files -- This is an RMVB (VB stands for variable bit)

1. Use something like Realaudio-to-Wav Recorder to encode the Real Audio to WAV (PCM/16bit/44.1kHz).

http://www.geocities.com/rawavrecorder/

2. Now use TMPGEnc:

First close wizard, then load in a Template (use Load button - right corner). Choose one that's best for your video - NTSC (29.97 fps), NTSCFilm (23.976 fps) or PAL (25 fps)

Video source: should be - original RMVB file
    Audio source: should be - the WAV file that was created.

START to encode.

3. anada2u

anada2u Member

When trying to load .rmvb file as video source, TMPGEnc says the file cannot open, or is unsupported.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

5. anada2u

anada2u Member

I'm not sure why TMPGEnc still won't load .rmvb file as video source. But I got WinAvi to work properly in converting .rmvb file. Apparently the app cannot load any file whose file name or path includes any unusual character. My file includes some non-english characters, so simply rename file or path and everything works fine.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Good for you, it had to be something simple like that -- Happy burning .. my friend ! You must have the latest Winavi 5.8
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  7. LinCathy

LinCathy Member

hi, Actually, I also ever got the error message just as anada2u mentioned when using winavi. However, after I installed a k-lite codec package http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm , everything works perfectly.
    By the way, I also discovered a fact that as long as a file that can be perfectly played by Windows Media Player, Winavi can convert it wonderfully. And what is more, the converting speed is surprisingly fast.

8. anada2u

anada2u Member

it is faster compared to other media convert applications, but it does consume more resources. something's gotta give.

9. Frustnoob

Frustnoob Member

hey can anyone help. ive tried all methods mentioned so far on here.. but non help

anada.. did u go onto menu >> FORMAT CONVERT >> Any to dvd/vcd/ etc..

for sum reason. after changing the file name...simple 3 letters i still get the error message sayin,

'Information failing!
    No usable video stream, please make sure that the Media Player can correctly play both the video and audio of the file!

after abt many hours .. so far researching how to convert RMVB.. still no luck. n TMPGEnc.. is baling out on me.. the dam thing isn;t workin.. despite using abt 5 versions

10. LinCathy

LinCathy Member

11. anada2u

anada2u Member

There seems to be a lot of volatility when converting .rmvb to mpg. After so many days of testing out various programs and conditions, sometimes I still cannot get a particular file converted properly; maybe has something to do with how it was encoded to rmvb in the first place. Solution: I now have a few programs at hand to do the job, in case one doesn't work, I'll try another one. I've got WinAvi, TMPGEnc (coupled with RM_Wav_Converter), RM Converter, and MPEG4 Direct Maker. My pref is MPEG4 Direct Maker; all-in-one converter that screws up rarely.

12. Frustnoob

Frustnoob Member

yeh i think MPEG4 direct maker looks the simplest.

but after ive installed it. when i click to open file is does no open. nothing comes up.