1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind Waker freezes

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Frenkovic, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Frenkovic

Frenkovic Member

Hello,

Since i got a wii and never owned previous consoles i'm playing all the good classics! Now i'm playing the wind waker.

Problem is, when I get the dungeon map at the forbidden fortress and i want to have a look at it it freezes! It happened to my pal backup so i tried a ntsc backup wich i downloaded cause my pal wasn't working and the same problem occured!

Anyone any suggestions? Ps does this belong on the cube or wii forums since it's a cube game and it happens on the wii?

2. jalaneme

jalaneme Regular member

i am unsure myself why this happens (there is a few topics about this posted on various forums about this problem) i have a legit copy of this game and i have recently installed a wiikey, i have yet to see if the same problem happens with a legit copy of the game, maybe it's a problem with the backup?

3. tomatosh

tomatosh Member

Strangely, I didn't saw anyone posting this problem after some long search on google.

I have the exact same problem and I must say it's really annoying... Maybe the update of Wiikey would solve it but it's two months late now...

I'd be very glad if someone solved it... I know I'm bumping an old thread but it hasn't been solved yet.

Hope someone could help us.

4. Frenkovic

Frenkovic Member

I know what the problem is. It's GCOS incompatible. See you need an unshrinked dump of the game and just burn it as an iso on a dvd and it'll work.

I just tried an other release then my own dump and i burned it on a dvd as an iso and it worked. Then I shrinked it and put it on a multidisc with GCOS and it had the freezing problem again!

I've seen more posts of it that it froze but never really a solution. Some people said it couldn't be placed as last on a multidisc, some people said it had something to do with region. Others said it was a shrinking problem (like the collector's edition of zelda).

I made several multidiscs (dvd-rw so i could try a few times) with PAL and NTSC, shrinked, unshrinked, and made sure all the different types were at one disc or another not as last positioned for the test.
    Result: They all froze!
    Conclusion: Burn it as an unshrinked single disc iso and play it with your wiikey! No emulation needed with GCOS!

good luck!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  5. tomatosh

tomatosh Member

Thanks a lot, it's kind of sad I have to burn it on a single DVD... I really hope a Wiikey update would solve it. Anyway I'm glad you answered, I'll try it as soon as my iso is done downloading.

As for the Collector Edition bug... Do you mean the disc error when loading a map on Majora's mask? It would really help if it was nothing but that!

Thanks!

6. Frenkovic

Frenkovic Member

No, i didn't mean that. When you burn the collectors edition on a multidisc you CAN'T shrink it. The game will boot up to the menu but as soon as you select a game and start it you get a black screen.

You need to add the image unshrinked to your gcos multi disc. Majora's Mask freezes a lot during gameplay but that's just a bug in the emulator. The original does this just as often as the burned image. Turning the rumble off should get you less errors but there is still discussion about that. Ocarina of time works flawless.

There are programs by the way to extract the games from a gcos multidisc and with fstfix you can unshrink it. That could save you some time downloading!

7. tomatosh

tomatosh Member

I couldn't dump my multi game disc so I downloaded Wind Waker Pal. I burnt it on a DVD-R first and it didn't worked, so I burnt it on a DVD-R and it didn't work neither.

My detects it as a gamecube game but when I boot it the screen just stay black, no sound... I know it may be a little bit long because of that 60-50hz thing but no matter how long I waited, nothing happened. I also tried patching it with some DOS program I don't remember but the name of the file is make_US (or PAL or JAP but I want ntsc).

My Wiikey is set on region overide too... I don't know what could be the problem.

8. reddragon

reddragon Member

@tomatosh - I have the same problem with Majora's Mask on the Collector's Edition! I've posted on several other forums and so far you're the first other person I've found with this problem.

I have no idea what the cause is, but I do know it didn't happen before I modded my Wii (with a Wiikey), but now it does. Similarly, I tried it on a friend's unmodded Wii and it worked fine, then they asked me to mod it for them, which I did, and now it has the same problem.

Someone suggested to me that it might have something to do with the audio fix, but I can't be certain, I'll have to extensively test it with the audio fix enabled and disabled and see if it makes a difference.

Hopefully a Wiikey update will fix this...

9. Frenkovic

Frenkovic Member

you have freezes with WW or MM?

MM freezes all the time for everyone. It has something to do with the emulation. It's a N64 game, emulated for the cube. There isn't a way to solve this problem, we just have to wait for a VC version to come.

WW just has freezes with GCOS. The original never freezes and the 1 on 1 backup doesn't freeze either.

10. reddragon

reddragon Member

I'm sorry, I thought my post was quite clear.

I did state that I was having issues with Majora's Mask on the Collector's edition.

I also said that I did not have this problem at all on my Wii before I installed the Wiikey. I was playing it on my GameCube with no problems before I bought my Wii, then I played it on my Wii with no problems until I installed my Wiikey. Now it freezes. Tried it on my friend's Wii - no problems. Modded my friend's Wii - freezes.

I know MM is buggy at the best of times because it's essentially a ROM running off a DVD through an emulator, but I've played through Zelda I, II, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (so far) and honestly never had a problem with it at all until installing the Wiikey.

However, since posting on this thread I read that the Wiikey team have finally updated the status of their impending update and it acknowledges that the chip's audio fix function causes issues with some games, including Zelda: The Collector's Edition. Hopefully this will fix the problem I'm having...

11. Frenkovic

Frenkovic Member

that is great! I stopped playing MM because of the freezes. I searched the internet and read that those freezes where there for ages, also on the cube. But I hope it will be fixed by the update!

12. someelse

someelse Member

Is it possible to play an NTSC version of Wind Waker on a PAL Wii without the freezing? The only way I know to boot it, is to use GCOS, and apparently that's what causes the error. Otherwise I can't play it in 480p.

I've already played a bit too, so I don't want to start over on the PAL version. Convert the save perhaps, but how?