1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 file associations. To save file and not bring up App.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by jagman55, Sep 5, 2017.

1. jagman55

jagman55 Member

I use Bittorrent sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it out. Win 7 had this ability, and after cleaning out ALL OF BITTORRENT from my SYSTEM, when a torrent link is clicked, it still brings up the window for me to choose: bittorrent or another app and NO SAVE FILE like Win 7 gave us a choice.

BUT in window 10 the only way I can see to disassociate it is with:"control panel/default programs/set association"
    Under "extensions" there is ".torrent" and current default is : "Bittorrent"

But when you go to: CHANGE PROGRAM, it is all OTHER APPS TO CHOOSE FROM.
    NO place to delete the firld.. , action to bring up the FILE EXPLORER to SAVE THE FILE

ANYONE??

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what browser did you use in win7 as sounds like ie11 & what are you using in win10?

3. jagman55

jagman55 Member

sorry, I use NOTHING but Firefox, keep it up to date. Currently it is 53.03 (64bit) but read where Microsoft wants to force us AGAIN to use their browser, now EDGE, by making Firefox and "others" unfriendly.
    People new to this technology will not know Microsoft tried THIS BEFORE, BUT backed off due to outrage of users. They have never been ABOVE doing things like this, I know, my first was OS was DOS 1.0 and all since except, skipped 8.

use FF as I like "CMDs" at my fingertips, and visible.

4. jagman55

jagman55 Member

there is NOc choice here on "10", 7/FF gave a choice on every release.

Attached Files: