1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 - First impressions

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by Eisherz, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Now, that Win 10 has been out for a day for the general public, I would like to know what you think so far.

Ok, here are my first impressions:

I installed Windows 10 over an existing and used installation of Windows 7, which worked remarkably easy. I kept all my programs, documents and so on. The installation via update didn't work (gave an error code), then I tried the method via command line, which worked only up until the download was finished. After that failed I used the Media Creation Tool, and that finally worked. From then on the installation was pretty fast, including the download it took me less than two hours. After everything was finished, Windows 10 started without any problems, but I couldn't get into the internet anymore. My WLAN dongle simply doesn't get recognized correctly anymore (it shows up, installs correctly and even is seen as working but it simply won't find any connections). I tried different drivers, the one that came with the dongle, the one that came with Windows, nothing works. The dongle itself is fine, it works perfectly on another computer that is still on Windows 7. So time to get my old powerline addapters again. Now my internet connection works aswell, and after removing that annoying Cortana search field and Microsoft Edge from the task bar and some mostly useless apps from the computer (seriously, Solitair is now only ad-free if you go premium?), I am pretty happy with Windows 10. Oh, and the calculator still can't do the math, just try 2+3*4 and you know what I mean.

2. john179

john179 Active member

I found windows 10 to be very simple to install and currently testing out. The only thing i have found a problem with is the dongle same as yourself i can not get my xbox 360 controller to work with windows 10. This will mean either a driver update if windows release or third party release or maybe a new dongle or windows 10 will only support xbox one control. Anyone else have this problem and maybe even come up with a fix.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. john179

john179 Active member

Problem resolved just in case anyone has the same problem is simple to fix. I switched me brain on and did the obvious unistall i had plugged in when i upgraded windows. So unplug uninstall then reinstall Xbox360_64Eng which you get from microsoft dowloads site. Go to device manager right click on unknown device go to update driver select xbox360 at the bottom then select windows 10 driver. Just in case anyone has the same problem and misses the obvious like me.

4. ireland

ireland Active member

How to fix internet problem on Windows 10

5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Been there, done that long before, I even deinstalled the old Windows 7 driver (which was a pain by the way) and reinstalled the WLAN dongle using the (what I thought was the) correct Windows 10 driver (the one that Windows 10 offered me for manual installation), but it's no use. Simply won't work. On the same PC I have a partition with Windows 7 still installed, and the dongle works there on the same USB port and everywhing without any problems. My problem with my dongle is that there is no working driver for Windows 10 for it, I have contacted the producer's customer support and hope they can help me. Otherwise I have a useless dongle.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. aldan

aldan Active member

see ya in six months or so.maybe all the bugs will be fixed by then..

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

MEH It’s definitely a step up from Windows 8. But if you have Windows 7 there’s no sane reason to move to Windows 10…

8. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Actually, Windows 10 ist way faster than Windows 7. If you have an older computer with Win 7 it's definitely an improvement. And yes, the support for my WLAN dongle could help me, it's working now.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

i have an older computer and while win10 may be faster than win7 it doesnt necessarily mean it going to be fast on my machine if you get my drift.i have windows7 tweaked to make it run better on my hardware,so my question would be,can i tweak win10 services and settings the same as i have win7?at this point thats not likely to happen so,in fact,its quite possible that win10 will not run faster on my machine than my present win7.again,i will wait.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, this computer is getting a little long in the tooth but I can't complain about the speed. I'm running 6 cores at a little over 4 GHz and have my 7 tweaked to the max for speed......

I will probably install 10 and then make an image so I can load and play with it when I feel the need.. :rolleyes:

My motto when dealing with a new M$ release is always:

Be not the first by whom the new are tried,
    Nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

Don't pee on electric fence.PNG

Glad to hear you've got your dongle working..

How you been, aldan?

11. aldan

aldan Active member

hangin in there buddy.

12. john179

john179 Active member

Well after pretty much testing out windows 10 got to say find it hard to want to go back to windows 7. I was pretty lucky in the fact my boss purchased my current pc less a couple of hard drives and a dvd writer so i made sure this pc would be windows 10 ready. I find windows 10 to have slighty more snap than windows 7 and some of the added features are really good. All the games i have currently installed work great apart from f12015 and with directx 12 games around the corner bring it on.

13. ireland

ireland Active member

If you install windows 7 as a new install it will have the same snap as 10 on the same computer.
    Also I beta windows 10 from the start. I do not care for it at all it it has is more bells and Whistles which I do not need to do the same tasks,
    I do not see that windows 10 is faster then my windows 7 -on the same computer

On my every day computer will never see window 10 installed, you will find out that windows 10 has more control over you then you think, like using your bandwidth to update other computers and tracking your ever move ,good luck to you on your new world order windows 10. Yes ever one in the world will be using windows 10- remember its free……

exter's you might not know that 10 has

A PDF Printer

Game and Screen Recording
    Fetch Files With OneDrive
    Timed Screenshots in the Snipping Tool
    Keyboard Shortcuts in the Command Prompt
    Native Touchpad Settings
    Scrolling of Background Apps
    Better Monitor Scaling
    Sideloading Apps

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I'm with you, ireland, the old saying of "Never look a gift horse in the mouth.." went right out of the window in the cyber world along with Big Brother looking out for you........

2oG

15. attar

attar Senior member

Downloaded the upgrade and created a 32 bit iso yesterday - seven hours for the download, God help me.
    Took about an hour to install the upgrade in a Dell machine and get the start menu into a semblance of order.
    Seems the same as Windows 7 as far as performance, but getting to settings etc is a pain to re-learn.
    I doubt I will upgrade my main machine inasmuch as Windows Media Centre isn't supported - I record a lot of OTA TV.

16. victor58

victor58 Member

O -M-G! Why does M$ have to re-invent the car just to get to work!!!. First thing I did after a complete install was install Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/. Why do I see the Xbox connectivity in several locations? I downloaded the VLC Media Player app from the 'integrated' Microsoft version of an app store, much like on a cell phone. Also like a cell phone it required me to enter my Hotmail email credentials. But once I rebooted for something else, I discovered that Win10 now required me to enter my hotmail credentials to log into the computer. Oh Hell NO! On another forum/discussion site a reader mentioned that this is NOT good from an Identity Theft/security standpoint.
    And I would definitely agree.
    Please, someone! Tell me how this would be a good replacement for Windows 7 in the corporate environment. After dealing with MS Operating Systems clear back to 1990, I was a little suspicious that it requires you to have Win7 or 8 already installed. That blows the whole idea of getting a new hard drive - you have to waste time installing W7 or 8 first with updates before you can installed Win10. Does that mean it's little more than just an overlay of the UI? Indeed! there is a reason it's free. One could equate Microsoft to Obama - they both want to control everything you do.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  17. ireland

ireland Active member

OUOTE
    victor58 Member
    One could equate Microsoft to Obama - they both want to control everything you do.

MAY BE THIS WILL HELP

30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft[t

Windows 10 phones home more than any other version of Windows before it. Along with Windows 10, Microsoft released a new privacy policy and services agreement containing 45 pages of legalese. If Google wrote these, Microsoft might say you were being “Scroogled.”
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224616/30-ways-windows-10-phones-home/

Windows 10 spies on emails, images, credit cards, more

http://www.wnd.com/2015/08/windows-10-spies-on-emails-images-credit-cards-more/

Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching
    http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

18. dp70

dp70 Member

Dear Mr. 2oldgeek,

You are absolutely correct - as usual. I have worked with computer since 1962 as a math major. The big to do was setting-up simultaneous linear equations for theoretical trip from the earth to the moon- fuel, gravity and mass.
    Way back, when the bleeping thing did not work, IBM would replace the tech after 1/2 hour - with a fresh one.
    I have no intent of giving-up Windows 7 - the next o/s I install will be Linux based.
    My Doberman was correct about W8- a bow! wow!- he gave me the same opinion when I uninstalled a master-beta 10.

aldan likes this.
  19. i know nothing

i know nothing Newbie

Windows 10. got nothing on windows 8.1 pro i am afraid. 8.1 boots in six and closes in 7 seconds on my ssd laptop. Windows 10, no matter what tweaks, 20 second boot 18 second shut down. However....i do like windows 10 once it has started. I have been attacked and had to complete reinstall on another drive, and will not be re upgrading my win 8.1 pro EVER, here that microsoft, i paid for my win 8.1 pro and have disc and key and it is for life, and i think 8.1 has a lot of legs in it. my other drive, a hdd was windows 7 home. i did not upgrade, instead i downloaded from microsoft site and installed that way. strange thing is i still have about half the windows 7 noises going and half windows 10 noises. it is faster than windows 7 was to boot and shut down with less time staring at a black screen. kaspersky needed the 2016 version to run which was not available on the 29th release date of 10. home office and student 2010 works flawlessly as do many other programmes. Not so for Gmer, blue screen loop when trying to run that one. also autogk and gardan knot both needed a compatibility setting to operate properly, i used xp service pack 2. Another issue was win 10 did not wark at well until the updates were installed, i wonder if this was a deliberate ploy by Msoft to kill off any would be early pirates, well it would work as the metro tiles and other apps were unusable before i installed the updates. I started with classic shell but have reverted now to the default and got used to it quite fast. It is stable and apart from a few niggles that after three days somehow disappeared i cannot complain as windows 7 was coming to it's life's end soon. My core temperatures have reduced by about 2 to 4% for most tasks, and now i have few times the fan is spinning. With my ssd inside this same laptop it runs a lot cooler with win8.1. i have no stalling but i do get a moments flicker when right clicking context menu to either delete copy paste etc, after the first time this does not happen. Edge is useless to me, i am in a foreign place and trying to make it default to eu us or uk for search will not happen and i get a security page when typing anything, so if i use it i have to rely on favourites, useless and no fix yet, you should be able to add a search like chrome and force it to default.Solitaire although add free is slow to start up at times, but works very nicely i just don't like the delay when clicking it, win 7 used to be instant and xp sp1. a backward move to make this unresponsive, you should be able to click it and things happen that split second, not .............now.

20. john179

john179 Active member

Well had a few issues with windows 10 but have resolved the lot. The only reason i have upgraded to windows 10 is direct x12 which is gonna be the biggest upgrade of the OS for me. Interface pretty much the same windows 7 just a a few tweeks which you get use to. Windows 8.1 i hated with a passion so 10 is a massive improvement on 8 it just feels better looks better and has DX12 appeal to me. All tracking to ms 10 has been turned off as far as i know as im not a lover of the fact ms wants to snoop but apart from that all is well so far.