1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 is shaping up to be the most unstable release since Millennium Edition (ME)

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by ireland, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability

Windows 10's strength -- its comprehensiveness -- is also its biggest weakness. Too many moving parts are making for an unstable computing experience for me. Bring on Redstone!

On my Windows 10 machine, this is how I've come to start my day: I slowly open my laptop lid, cautiously peer at my screen and wonder what is no longer working like it did yesterday.

Some days, I'm pleasantly surprised and things seem stable. But in the past couple weeks, the opposite has been the case. As a result, part of my new morning routine is checking my Windows Update history and my Windows Store app installation history, hoping against hope for clues as to why my machine is not running right.

ONE MONTH IN
    This is not OK.

read

http://www.zdnet.com/article/my-biggest-problem-with-windows-10-stability/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

2. ireland

ireland Active member

Windows 10 is shaping up to be the most unstable release since Millennium Edition (ME)

Windows 10 unstable? That's the question that’s circulating through the blogosphere of late. With even veteran Windows watchers like Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott now documenting their frustrations with the new OS, the perception that Microsoft released Windows 10 before it was ready is beginning to grow.

A quick perusal of peer-to-peer support sites like www.tenforums.com will give you a taste of just how widespread the malaise truly is. From buggy device drivers to "vanishing" modern apps, Windows 10 seems to have arrived with more than its fair share of rough edges.

SEE ALSO: How to fix Windows 10's worst problems
    http://betanews.com/2015/08/12/how-to-fix-windows-10s-worst-problems/

I’ve personally documented my own (as yet still unresolved) issues with Windows 10’s lack of video driver support for first generation Windows tablet PCs. The finger pointing between Intel, Microsoft and the various hardware OEMs who are affected by this bug continues to this day. And in the course of upgrading to Windows 10 on several other, seemingly compatible PCs, I’ve encountered more than my fair share of general weirdness, including:
    READ MORE HERE
    http://betanews.com/2015/09/15/wind...n=Feed+-+bn+-+Betanews+Full+Content+Feed+-+BN

Windows 10 glitches have sidelined my Surface 3
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-issues-sidelining-my-surface-3/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

Google Chrome sometimes freezes on Windows 10
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/15/google-chrome-sometimes-freezes-on-windows-10/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. aldan

aldan Active member

wow,ive not had a single glitch in 3 computers since i upgraded them.two were on 7 and 1 on 8.1.i cant speak for these people but most glitches ive had with an os are self inflicted.lol.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I never had problems with Windows ME. I never had a BSOD. I may have been lucky, I guess.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

When you open your personal "Window" to the world, you will not be Glitched, period....But when you attempt to stop that privacy invasion, you will have more Glitches than Carter had "Little liver pills"!!!!
    I may just go back to using Linux on a virtual machine.... KMA M$

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Of all the M$ OS's> 95, 98, 98SE ( second edition), ME, NT(business), 2000(based on NT), XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, my choices were 98SE, XP and 7. I have learned over the years to Block malware from getting into my machines... If it does happen, which it could, I have a daily backup that I can go back to and take care of that. What disturbs me is M$ sticking Spy Shit down my throat to gather all my privacy info and turn it over to my "Big Brother"...... :mad:

7. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Well, if you're still on the Upgrade install, I'm not at all surprised and recommend that do a clean install ASAP if you can.
    Upgrade installs are usually a mess of nagging issues, I've done dozens over the years for testing purposes and I can honestly say that I don't recall more than 1 or 2 that didn't result in instability of one sort or another.
    My W10 upgrade install went from bad to worse quickly over a period of 3 weeks and the W7 install I upgraded from was only a 1 week fresh install because I wanted the least amount of cruft possible...didn't matter. Graphics problems galore, programs that should work didn't, start menu items constantly missing, settings sliders disappeared, weird overlapping text on many sliders and the list goes on.
    Finally I d'loaded the W10 ISO and bit the bullet on another clean install and now I couldn't be happier! Everything works, not a single glitch in 4 weeks and all my programs work as they should. Shut down all MS spy options during install and dbl-checked after it was up & running, all remain shut down (4 now) but I check after every update (that's another issue, but I'm not getting into that here).

So...if at all possible, I wholeheartedly recommend you try doing a clean install if you can, unfortunately with many pre-installed systems, this might not be possible for some. There are ways to extract what you might need from the recovery partition if you're kinda techie but that's up to you.

Dave

8. aldan

aldan Active member

actually ive gone thru practically all the privacy issues and plugged most of em.and yeah,that having been said windows 10 is probably gonna strike me down.lol