1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 10 screxxx up mess

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Janie, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Janie

Janie Newbie

I did a install of windows 10 that a friend had on a usb drive. after a couple of months i decided i wanted to go back to win 8, that came with my laptop. i was following the directions in windows 10. when my laptop restarted it has files missing. now it want let me do anything.IT SAYS the screen is locked in windows 10, i can not get into the registry to unlock cause i can not get back into windows 10. I need to format the hard-drive how do i format the HD? I guess that is what i need to do!? I ordered a flash drive from ASUS to reinstall windows 8, i can not do anything. i change in the bios, to start with dvd drive, again one of the files in there shows to be missing to change it. there is supposed to be a file called "UEFI: TOSHIBA MSFT NORB PMAP", (NOT THERE). SO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO about this mess except to format the drive and reinstall with the recovery disk i bought from ASUS for $45. i have a $800 laptop and a $45 flash drive packed away in the closet. Can anybody help please?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

make & model of the asus laptop?

3. Janie

Janie Newbie

ASUS K550C series....

4. ddp

Step 1

Power on or reboot the ASUS laptop. When the ASUS logo screen appears, press "F9" to access the hidden partition.

Step 2
    Press "Enter" when Windows Boot Manager appears. Choose your language from the options and click "Next."

Step 3
    Review the on-screen messages and then click "Next." Select one of the following options: "Recover Windows to First Partition Only," "Recover Windows to Entire HD" or "Recover Windows to Entire HD With Two Partitions."

Step 4
    Click "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions to restore the ASUS laptop to the factory defaults.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-asus-laptop-factory-settings-53444.html

5. Janie

Janie Newbie

this does not work tried it....

6. ddp

what message if any did you get when you tried it?

7. Janie

Janie Newbie

I got them to replace the flash drive it worked most of the way through the image now it has stopped, so i guess i will get it replaced again. thank you.