1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 2000 install help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by stan789, Apr 24, 2007.

1. stan789

stan789 Member

hello you guys are my last resort,i have recentally bout a windows 2000 disk off the computer at Oem-avenue.com anyway its a OEM version but that is not the problem the problem comes when i try to install it see i wiped my harddrive cleen and thier is no data on it so when i go to install my computer wont boot the disk,so i figured its the computer,i Changed the boot sequence,still dont work i tried a windows xp pro disk-it boted up but my windows 2000 disk didnt,so i tried it on another computer my hp computer it wouldent read the disk eaither,the hard drive was wiped on that also.so i went to my moms computer witch has windows Xp and put in the install cd while the computer was up and running the windows 2000 came up also it said that that version was older than xp so it would not let me install it,so i know the windows is on the disk,all the files are there,i read online help pages-no help yet,Called microsoft They said that they could help but they charge 250$ because 2000 pro is for buisness only(that is crappy i think)so any advice would help thanks a bunch
    stan

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

In trying to remember all the command to install windows when it won't auto run I found this site . Hopefully it will help you out.

I don't remember it actually being this complicated but it's been awhile since I've tried to do. I think the last time I did all I did was format the drive with the /s at the end of the command. When I got to the C: or A: command some how I was able to switch it to the D: (cd drive) and was able to call setup.exe and install windows.

Good luck.

3. stan789

stan789 Member

thank you so much i was beginning to think that no one was going to answear thaks for your help.

4. CCScan

CCScan Member

I hope this helps. I had a similar issue with a machine I use to have. I was putting 2K Pro on a W98 machine that I had 'beefed' up. I had to use the W98 boot disk (the one you can make with a floppy from a W98 machine) to load the files so my CD drive could be used to install W2K Pro. I booted to the disk and went to my W2k Pro disk in D drive and installed. Good luck.

5. stan789

stan789 Member

only problem is i have no floppy drive

6. CCScan

CCScan Member

7. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

It seems odd that you can boot from the XP disk and not the 2000. I'd play with both the XP disk and the 2000 disk and compare them in the running computer. Maybe there is something different about the file that is cued during a boot between the two.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. stan789

stan789 Member

ya my whole hard drive is wiped umm no i have not portioned it because i want the whole drive to be windows 2000

basically what happend is when i insert my disk the drive reads the cd and goes on to load the hard drive even if i put in bios to load the cd first and even if i change it to do not boot the hard drive at all it still chooes not to boot the cd its like my cd is not bootable of sumthing,umm when i put it in when windows is loaded it shows up and of couse does not let me down grade but i know that 2000 is ok and on the cd rom at first i thought who i bout the software from might of scammed me but i dont know im so confuzzled lol

Last edited: May 3, 2007