1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 partition problem

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by andmerr, Sep 11, 2004.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Just got a new 160 gig HD but under win2k i can only get it to reconize 131 gig (under xp it reconizes all of it).I am using partition magic 8 .Why wont it reconize it all under win 2k but does under win XP

thanks in advance

andmerr

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ Jeanc1:

thanks mate

andmerr

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i have just tried putting a win xp disc in from scratch and have managed to format the 2nd drive into 2 partitions of about 74.5 gig each.

Ami going to encounter this problem every time i get a new H/D while running win2k

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2004
  6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That is one solution with Windows 2000 ~~ The bigger drives coming out almost force you to do that (Like a 250G split in 2-125).

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks for your help, i guess i may have to consider changing my out look on win xp as i intend to get another couple of 160 gig drives installed.

Currently have 1x 80 gig
    1x 160 gig

8. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

If you want to continue with Win 2K (my O/S of choice, and I have Disk Volumes larger than 250 GB)..

Two methods to consider:

1 - Install Service Pack 4 which has 48 Bit LBA support.
    2 - Install an IDE raid controller (or late model PCI IDE controller) as the BIOS on the raid controller has 48 Bit support.

Drawbacks & Benefits:

Service Pack 4 costs effectively nothing, but if you want 48 Bit support for the boot disk then you will need to slipstream it.

A PCI Raid controller has better throughput and uses less CPU resources, put your hard drives on there & use the existing M/B ide controllers for opticals - not free but can be used with almost any O/S.

For very little money the Raid Controller is the preferred option, with many benefits and almost no drawbacks.

Hope this helps...

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey drchips where have you been hiding nice to see you are still with us.I have win 2k with service pack 4 installed already but had tried Win xp and found it less stable to burn media with .I do however prefer win 2k.

quote:Service Pack 4 costs effectively nothing, but if you want 48 Bit support for the boot disk then you will need to slipstream it.

can you elaborate a bit more: slipstream?

Had a look at the raid system but didnt think it was worth the money for me.

( so how have you been, still working hard.Catch ya)

andmerr