1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 reboots just before desktop appears

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NipDar, Nov 30, 2005.

1. NipDar

NipDar Guest

Here is my problem: My computer goes through POST just fine, Windows 2000 splash screen comes up and it completes loading the OS, and then right when the screen should switch to the desktop the whole process starts again. At first I thought that the software was just restarting but the whole comp is rebooting. I can hear a click and the drives spin down for 1-2 seconds like someone hit the reset button on the front of the comp.

I upgraded my PSU from the 350W that came with the Enermax case to a Seasonic S12 600W with the same results. I thought there might be a problem with the power supply because someone vacuuming in another part of the house blew out the circuit breakers twice in five minutes. Both times the comp was up and running and shut down unexpectedly. I was able to get the computer running again after the last shut down and used/left the comp on all night with no problems. I rebooted the next day and that is when my problems began.

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
    Windows 2000 SP2
    ASUS P4S8X Motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Not Overclocked)
    2 x 120GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drives (One for O/S, One for backup)
    1 x 300GB Maxtor SATA Drive for Storage
    3 x 512 MB Ram from crucial.com
    1 x Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800Pro Atlantis AGP Graphics (256MB DDR)

2. trimjim

trimjim Member

I had a similar experience with w2k, in my situation it turned out to be a conflict that my hp usb print driver was having with other usb devices. In researching the topic I discovered this is how w2k deals with conflicts. My suggestion would be to remove all cables, except power and monitor, and try to start and see what happens. It might also be a card. If you can get it to load up and stabilize there is a file named "uhcd.sys" that can be renamed "uhcd.bak" and then restart. w2k will reinstall uhcd.sys on startup. Good luck.