1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 3.1 help.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by fruitfly, Aug 12, 2003.

1. fruitfly

fruitfly Member

Well, I am staying at my grandma's house and she has a computer. It's a packard bell Force 110. For fun, I want to try to get this computer on the internet if I can (I've got a modem in it and installed) I have an AOL account already, so, I want to try that...here's the problem, I cant' get AOL installed, and I'm not sure what else I can try to get this on the internet (I'm not gonna pay for internet for this small project).

The specs of this machine are: 130mb hdd, 4mb ram, 5 1/4 floppy and 3 1/2 floppy.

I downloaded (from my pc) and copied to a floppy AOL 3.0, but it doesn't have enough ram. So, I tried the earlier versions, but the error out (a dos screen flashed with the error, but I can't pause it fast enough or read it before it goes away)...this would be so neat to browse the internet on this pc...cause well..I'm odd and think it'd be neat.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

4MB of ram! Gosh. You can't run any AOL versions with that! I think all of them need at least 16 MB!

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I think Aol also needs Win95 as minimum.
    Sounds like a fun computer to play with. Now its Aug 20, are you still playing with this?
    A possible solution is using online free software like Net4free ete. There was one you could get for $10 at Canadian post office and it would work on Win 3.1, but I can't remember what it was called. Obvious you have some net access see
    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~skkhoo/basic.htm
    has some good programs to use with Win 3.1

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I used to use Netscape 4 with win 3.1 (I think). if you can put an ftp cliet on this PC you can get Netscape from ftp.netscape.com under the /pub/communicator directory.

Good luck.