1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 7 crash

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by neilcolt, Jul 12, 2011.

1. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Big snag here everyone.I upgraded to windows 7 home premium from vista home premuim 32bit.All was well for about 2 hours then i started getting the blue screen of death,but couldnt work out why the system was crashing.Anyway Sunday night the system crashed and kept going to the windows 7 recovery screen saying"unable to fix the PC as the registry is corrupt".Unfortunately i wasnt quick enought to do a back up image.
    So i bascally need the boot registry fixed,but as ive no disk i do think i might be screwed here!!!!
    Any ideas members would be much appreciated.

NeilC

2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Hopefully you did a fresh installation. Sometimes but not always when you install a newer OS over an older one it causes problems.
    It sounds like your registry is full of errors.
    Jeff

3. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Jeff when you buy an upgrade it is supposed to install over your old XP,vista etc according to microsoft.I saw the flag saying "back up" but as i had just done the upgrade didnt do it immediately.So theres 2 people to blame here microsoft and myself.I was hoping there would be some way of restoring the registry ,but as i hadnt selected the HDD for restore it didnt do this automatically.I have tried to restore and other fixes but didnt work.
    You are correct it does cause problems when installing.

regards

NeilC

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You are right about MS claims upgrading instead of a newer OS installation should work flawlessly.
    Unfortunately MS does not compensate for poorly written or third party software which may or maybe not the problem.

This is a huge reason why corporations standardize OS and software installations and limits the user from installing software on their own.

Hopefully you have all of your software to reinstall and saved all the key codes and things.

Really a fresh install is the only way to go. The machine is more crisp and you don't have to worry so much about BSOD's.
    Jeff

If your previous OS was a Vanilla setup chances are it would be AOK.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Neil, do you need to save your data before reloading vista then win7 or what?

6. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

According to the windows 7 pre-installation notes,you dont do a "save" until the installation for the upgrade is finished.This is where i probably mucked up as i didnt do a save until it was too late.
    I have tried the windows 7 rescue screen but as i didnt do a back-up before the system crashed the windows 7 rescue screen said it "was unable to fix my pc.
    Although there is sometimes a roll-back to vista on the boot up screen but i do not know how to get to this.
    Cheers NeilC

7. ddp

do you want to save your data before you reload your windows?

8. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Yes I do!!!!Thanks.

9. ddp

do you know how to do it?

10. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

The only thing that is troubling me is that when i tried to do a repair service with the windows 7 repair facilty (when the PC 1st boots up)is states the system cannot be repaired ,so how would i save the data without getting to the screen.Thanks.

11. ddp

by taking the win7 drive out of it's tower & putting it in the computer you are posting with as long as not a laptop then you need a drive enclosure.

12. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Thanks for your help ddp i ll sort this first thing.I will also this time make a back up disc,this is a lesson learned by myself.
    Cheers.

13. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

DDP,just an update on the windows 7 problem.I have moved all my important files off the drive sucessfully.
    I can get into the windows 7 program now ,although it is very slow and also when i try to go on the internet it try to go online then the screen blinks and nothing happens.
    The PC is connected online as i have also updated malwarebytes from the update screen.
    I have AVG free 11 installed but have noticed when the PC starts and i get to the desktop screen the AVG box in the right handside of the screen is totally black.Also AVG as not started correctly.
    As this is the second time i have loaded windows vista-then loaded my windows 7 upgrade i wonder if the HDD has bad sectors.
    Is there anyway of checking this with software.
    I have another HDD in the PC at the present which works ok,but i paid 100quid for a windows 7 upgrade that keeps crashing.I would like to know if it the HDD before i go moaning to Microsoft.
    Help appreciated.

14. ddp

can do a scan disk thru windows to check for bad file & sectors. can also download disk diagnostic program from the hard drive manufacturer.