1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 keeps dropping internet connection (Solved)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by adamryer, Oct 27, 2009.

1. adamryer

adamryer Guest

I recently upgraded from vista home premium 64bit to windows 7 home premium 64bit, and ever since I did the upgrade my internet connection keeps dropping while I am browsing the web. It most often occurs when watching video clips but it also happens when im just browsing. I get the yellow triangle in the network status box and it says limited or no connectivity. After running windows network diagnostics my connection is restored and it is always the same problem, it says that the default gateway is not available, and it is able to fix the problem. I do have the computer hooked up to a router. I have never had this problem with vista and my laptop running xp is not having problems, so this points to windows 7 being the culprit.

2. kk0425

kk0425 Member

Are you wired or wireless?

It may still be the router not agreeing with windows 7. What kind of router do you have?

Since you say it happens mostly with video, it could, but not likely, that your router is failing. The ram in the router just may not be able to keep up with windows 7. Also, do you torrent a lot?

Did you power cycle the entire system? All computers, router, and modem?

Have you also tried reinstalling your networking drivers?

If none of those work then you could try setting a manual default gateway in your computer. I'm not familiar enough with windows 7 to give step by step instructions, but if you go into your TCP/IP settings and change the settings to manual (a quick google search should tell you how if you don't know), then enter in the IP of your router under default gateway. Defaults are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on your make and model of router.

3. adamryer

adamryer Guest

its a wired connection, and I have a dlink di-624 router, and it is kind of old but ive never had any problems with it. I do torrent alot, but when im surfing the net I close my torrent program so that isn't the issue. I will try doing a power cycle on all the components, and look into setting the default gateway. thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes.

4. adamryer

adamryer Guest

so I power cycled everything, which didn't seem to help. I then found the settings menu where I was able to set a default gateway, so I entered in my router's ip address there. That seemed to do the trick for now. Thanks for the tip!

5. kk0425

kk0425 Member

Good to hear that its working out for you. I would still keep an eye out for sales on routers or see if you can borrow one for a few days.

But as long as it is working for now then all is good!

6. adamryer

adamryer Guest

still having the same problem and its really annoying! I guess im gunna have to try a new router. Has anyone else been having this problem?

7. dailun

dailun Active member

You still haven't identified the "real" problem so that's why no one has an (effective) resolution.

When I lose an internet connection, here's my troubleshooting path:

Actually there's a lot mroe steps, like looking at my cable modem to see if it's connected, etc. But if I was sitting and my desk and was too lazy to get up . .

1. Check ipconfig on the local PC for IP address
    If this fails, your router may be bad and cannot supply an IP address through DHCP. Reboot the router.
    2. ping the gateway router
    If this fails, your PC can't even see the router. Reboot the router
    3. log into the router and see if router has an internet connection
    If the Router's internet connection is DOWN, try to reconnect or reboot your modem and see if it returns. Check with your ISP for known outages.

The yellow triangle indicates that the problem is most likely between the NIC and the router.

I would buy a new router ASAP when one goes on sale.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. adamryer

adamryer Guest

I have been checking my ip address, gateway, modem, etc. and everything is working fine. I can connect to and stay connected to the internet without any problems, but, once in awhile (usually when watching a video clip) I will get the yellow triangle and everytime this happens its always the same thing, that the default gateway (my router) is not available). I even tried manually setting the default gateway to my router's ip address and that still didnt help. It has to be my router either dying or not liking windows 7 for some reason because I have the same modem, router, and network adapter and ive never had this problem before. Oh well, I guess its just time for an upgrade!

9. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I had a similar issue in the past and I swapped out the switch and router, but the problem ended up being a bad network card. Once I replaced the offending network card, I put the original router and switch back and everything worked fine. If you have an extra network card lying around, I'd recommend installing it to see if you might have the same problem.

10. adamryer

adamryer Guest

yea but im using my onboard network adapter. I guess I could try buying an inexpensive pci adapter card and see if that works.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Try disconnecting the router for a while and running the pc directly off the cable modem, that would (hopefully) help pinpoint the problem..

12. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I see two potential hardware issues...
    1.) Dlink router (Dlink isn't even as good sd Linksys/Cisco...and Cisco sucks).
    2.) Onboard network - other than server boards, onboard network adapters are slow at best, and often fail without complete failure, leading to nearly impossible troubleshooting. A cheap PCI NIC is no better, but a $25 intel NIC is a whole other animal.
    3.) The cat5 cable...sometimes these can cause problems like this if they are damaged in just the right way.

Before you start buying stuff, try this:
    Setup your PC's network adapter to a static IP adress, also reserve that IP adress for the PC's MAC address in your router's settings. If it still looses connection, then you know you have a hardware issue.

13. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Thanks for the tips, I will try setting up a static ip first. If that still doesn't do the trick I'll get some new hardware.

14. dailun

dailun Active member

It might be worth a look at the Windows system events file. Although you might get a non-descript message such as this one when I physically disconnected my Ethernet cable:

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{C5BFE4F5-0414-4C36-A00A-78D399427E9A} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

If there Is an error or warning it might also add some clues.

15. adamryer

adamryer Guest

now im thinking it might be the network controller going bad and not the router. I have my laptop hooked up via wireless to the same router and im not having any problems at all on my laptop. My laptop is running xp pro, which makes me wonder if windows 7 is the cause of all the problems on my desktop because I didn't have any problems b4 with vista.

16. nays97

nays97 Member

I am also having the same problem after upgrading to windows 7. My router is D-Link DIR-615 and it is listed as compatible with windows 7. I don't actually get an disconnection error at the bottom of the screen, I just get an error msg on my browser. When I try and ping from my router I get the msg "no response from host". What would I try next to get it working?

17. cowboy333

cowboy333 Member

18. nays97

nays97 Member

Ah, thank you so much. Delaying the start of bonjour has done the trick *dances around the room* Thanks again :)

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My mum uses XP not Win7 but i've had to remove bonjour more than once as it seems to interfere with things. Had never bothered to investigate what it's for, just saw it was by Apple, that was enough reason to remove it :)
    (but to be fair mum doesn't have an Apple iPod anymore, i convinced here to ditch it and replace with a superior Creative player; and no more crappy Apple software is a bonus).

20. meganrex

meganrex Member

If the above solutions did not work Disable receive side scaling. Network connections/Local area connection/right-click/properties/configure/advanced/and then look for Receive Side Scaling....Make sure it is disabled.