1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 NLS Data Missing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by awol12, Sep 25, 2013.

1. awol12

awol12 Member

I have a Gateway NV55C49u laptop that I was working on getting back to factory settings and have fun into a bit of trouble. I went into the advance recovery settings and chose to restore back to factory settings. While working through this restore I got a message that the processed failed and had to restart the laptop.
    When I restarted I was met with the windows Boot Manager screen and a message that said the following:
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To
    fix the problem:
    1. Insert Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Reapair your computer."

If you do have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer
    for assistance.

Info: Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt.

I have tried using Windows 7 recovery disc, but this hasn't helped at all. The disc is from an HP computer so that might be causing the problem.
    I can't get back the screen with the above message at all. Any time I try in boot any mode it just comes back to the message above.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. bankai987

bankai987 Member

using a hp recovery disk on a gateway I dont think that's going to work because of configuration differences between the pc's. so find yourself a vanilla windows 7 boot disk and try to repair it. that should work on your pc. try maximumpcguides.com they have one there 32bit and 64bit (not sure which one have). Sounds like your master boot record is messed up. I would try that first.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. aldan

aldan Active member

you know,if i had a beer for every post i see where the poster doesnt have a disk for their os,i would be drunk for the rest of my life.i have disks to rescue computers i dont even own.i know,some of these "lost disks" are due to poorly pirated operating systems (win7 ultimate comes to mind)but come on people,either clone your disk (macrium reflect free) or keep a rescue disk.that having been said,to the op,dont take this personally.its just that over the years ive seen too many "i lost my disk" posts.it looks like you are going to need your win7 "installation disk".rant over.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

advanced recovery setting to restore to factory sounds like a recovery partition,so you'll need to check the operators manual to find out which key to hit to enter it before booting, on an hp it would be f10,boot the computer & tap f10 then if that fails try f11,piratebay has numerous copies of win 7 you'll need to find one that's either a recovery disc for your model or an unmodified win 7 disc of the same type like OEM win 7 professional etc it will have to be an OEM version

5. electron286

electron286 Newbie

It sounds like you may have a similar problem to one I encountered a few years back on my Aspire one netbook. I was starting to have problems, and multiple BLUE SCREENS, so I decided to go back to original factory settings also. All looked good, it deleted my XP partition, and was re-installing from the factory recovery partition.

Then, error reading file from the restore partition! I could not finish the re-install, and the computer was no longer usable. I attempted to re-install again from the restore partition, and same results...

Now, I realized the hard drive really was loosing data, and was causing all the problems. Not only was I having problems with the XP installation I had been using,but also the restore partition had lost data!

The good news... When I bought the netbook, the FIRST thing I did when I turned it on was to make a FULL DISC IMAGE back-up, so I could have it if I needed to replace a bad hard drive in the future... :) I used the image, and restored it to the bad hard drive, making the computer usable, till I started to have blue screens again. then I replaced the hard drive, that I was able to pick up on sale as I knew I was going to need it soon... Restored again from my original configuration image, and all has been great for the years since!

The full image back-up was cheaper than buying the available disc from the vendor, plus I was assured it was the EXACT same as what I had bought. (if that really matters to anyone.)

So, sadly, yes a backup from the past would be good to have, but may not, and usually is not available. A restoration disc from the vendor is often a VERY good investment, and usually not too expensive... But you also may want to verify the hard drive is NOT also failing before you buy a restoration disc. If needing to replace the drive, and also buy a restoration disc, it may be wise to at least look at other options such as putting the money toward a new computer again.

After you have things running, either old computer working again, or a new computer. MAKE MULTIPLE COPIES of a GOOD BACKUP IMAGE! :) sorry for yelling... I just would have been VERY upset if my backup image had also been bad. Especially since I really did not think I was going to need it since at the time my computer needed it, my computer was still under warrantee...

6. awol12

awol12 Member

So I ended up purchasing the recovery media disc from Gateway and now I have an entirely new problem. Once go through all the recovery CDs I get to the point that it is loading the drivers/software and it gets stuck on 18 of 42. Has something to do with the LITE-ON camera. I have done a full system recovery and it keeps getting stuck at this point. Is there anyway to bypass this step or skip this one pice driver/software?

7. dtox828

dtox828 Newbie

hmm not all us "lose" our installer disks, many notebooks like the acer aspire one doesnt have a cd drive so a disc would be useless