1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem windows 7 OS problem need to wipe :c Drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Mickoz74, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

I need to wipe my windows 7 PC, i cant use the recovery disc as all the options are greyed out. The full wipe i want to do but it can only be done on a hard drive that has no files on it. is there a program i can boot of a USB drive so i can delete the partition to start again.

2. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

gparted or some other linux distro's should be able to
    http://distrowatch.com/

i find it odd you can't use the recovery disc try this:
    So when windows recovery disc boots you will eventually move along to a screen with two options ,"install now" is the one you want then choose option "custom" when you eventually get to that screen you can then delete partition from there

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

5. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

the drive had 2 partitions C:Acer and the second E:Slave sure it was E: anyway when i got to look at the partitions E drive is not called slave and is showing empty. i had loads of photos on there, getting a caddy tomorrow gonna see if i can repair that partition. then delete all partitions and try the recovery disc again. I need to check Cmos to see if there are any recovery options. is that error message because the second partition is damaged, as i have deleted the first partition and the two system partitions, once ive tried to save the stuff on second partition im gonna delete all partitions and try again.

6. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

slave is just a term used for a 2nd hard drive or more not partitions,it's a setting on the rear of IDE drives including cd/dvd

once drive is out run a disk check utility i use seagate seatools,from the menu select basic test then
    1-short drive test
    2-short generic
    3-long generic
    while its scanning it will let you know if there's any issues with the hdd

the issue could also be due to hardware or a update that is interfering,there really isn't much to go on with that error,the path specified suggests it doesn't know where C drive is or a location on the drive itself

other option download an original copy of ms win 7 that hasn't been hacked from the piratebay ,install it to C & don't enter serial,download daz loader & run it

8. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Should have said i named it slave i should have called it extrastorage its just a mane

9. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

I've deleted the c drive and the two system partitions there unallocated now, but leaving a second partition as I want to recover data. Any good programs for this, also I've got recovery disks that work as I upgraded the hard drive and about two years ago I put this in and installed from the disks no probe, the original hard drive did the same, gave to a friend and he wiped it with an OS you boot from cd, then ran a few tests and it came back fine. Sold it on eBay the buyer used it as his primary drive ands said item works fine.

10. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Should I delete the other partition and try and reinstall the OS with recovery disk or, format the whole thing and run Seagate software

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

delete the partitions, make new partition(s)(depending on size of drive), format partition(s) then install windows.

12. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

2TB seagate

13. ddp

the recovery disk might make it's own partitions including the recovery partition if i remember correctly.

14. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Ok placed HDD in caddy did a full format took 23 hours lol, added drive letter run sea tools all ok removed drive letter put in pc run recovery discs I made and installing no Error on Acer screen and installing the last option will not do anything on a formatted HDD it formats and sets partitions on an unallocated HDD all seems ok so far. Will let you know if it goes ok

15. ddp

how many partitions?

16. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

1 should have done 2 is it to late now, if not how do I do it id like the 2nd partition

17. ddp

disk management in windows might give you that option to resize the os drive so can partition it. sea tools might let you do that too but not certain as have not done it yet as i don't use recovery disk.

18. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

shrink and extend last windows update wanted to shut down not restart. I didn't turn pc on till next day when I had trouble

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

A full format ? bugger that !..lol..next time do a quick,its bad enough doing full format on a 4gb dvd

some of those windows updates require a restart to finish installing you would've seen them on restart if computer shutdown,which the odd unattended update does

you were creating image backups as you went, not just install everything until windows is updated & loaded with all programs,your brave :p

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Windows Disk Manager will not allow you to resize partitions you'll need a 3rd party partitioning tool to do that. You can delete a partition in Disk Manager and then make two new partitions which is the only way you can do it with 7 other then a 3rd party app.

If you wanted to recover old stuff lost on your HDD you were better off not re-partitioning or worst writing new data to it. The odds get much worst once you wipe and proceed.

I agree quick format is all you should need but if your drive is having issues that you didn't directly cause check your Smart drive parameters to see if the drive is reporting problems it may not be worth while putting valuable data back on it. Your Acer probably has Smart enabled in the BIOS unless it has been changed in the BIOS, it's best to have it enabled.

Some Partitioning Tools
    Easeus Partition Master Professional
    Paragon Partition Manager
    Avanquest Partition Commander Professional
    There are plenty more...

File Recovery Tools
    EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional
    GetData Recover My Files
    iCare Data Recovery Professional
    MediaRescue Pro
    OfficeRecovery
    Ontrack Easyrecovery Professional